Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other World Mapper

Guild Member Facebook Connected Big Mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyete View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to look at our project. We're just past 30% of our funding goal!
    The first two stretch goals have been revealed. We really hope to get to the awesome stuff in these.

First Stretch Goal: $10000
    • Option for labels to auto-center on objects
    • Option to populate regions with features (i.e. fill a region with trees).
    The Kickstarter just went over $10,000, so the first goal has been made. However, the above list is incomplete. There is also:
    • Location Notes and
    • SVG Support for Map Features

Second Stretch Goal: $12000
    • Tools and artwork for creating Dungeon Maps
    There is also a third stretch goal (at $14,000):
    • City Map Tools,
    • Parallels and Meridians for Map Projections and
    • Importing SVG Files for Landmass Data

I'm a bit confused about the difference between SVG support for the first stretch goal and SVG input for this third one.

Anna Mayer (who did the Flanaess map and is doing cartography for The Southlands Kickstarter) has signed up to be an Alpha Tester. She has also been asking (on the comments page of their Kickstarter) about supplying them with "map art submissions" and has been talking about how she could work in Other World Mapper, export a map to create a 3D version and then re-import the map at the end of that process:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Meyer on the Other World Mapper Kickstater
    Congratulations on reading the funding goal!

City mapping and SVG import wonderful. With that I can design a city layout in Other World Mapper, export it to my 3D software for professional rendering, and then import results back into OWM again. That way end users of my maps can alter and customize my maps to their special needs.

Now we need to reach those stretch goals!
    I find it really interesting that Anna Meyer is thinking of using this alongside 3D software.

EDIT: I have also asked (probably in the wrong place) if Other World Mapper might be able to help with the difficulty of getting the polar areas of planets right. That is something I've struggled with for many years and if they can make that easier, it would be awesome.
    Last edited by Big Mac; 10-25-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    New to cartography and seeking advice - eventual goal to make a large number of maps for the many worlds of the Spelljammer Campaign Setting

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the difference between SVG support for the first stretch goal and SVG input for this third one.
    The SVG support of the first stretch goal is for feature art only (mountains, trees, castles, etc.). The third stretch goal will add the ability to import “maps layers” (i.e. landmasses) that you may have made with another program (i.e. Inkscape) and saved in SVG format.

As Big Mac said, we're funded, reached our first stretch goal and are almost to the second!

To celebrate being funded, we're adding a Railroad tool and a Lovecraft inspired mini-artset to all backer levels that include a copy of Other World Mapper!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celebrate2.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	68611

What about tectonics maps? And what about making maps based on tectonics? Mapping the mountains based on tectonics? As long as I know, no software have ever done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagliun Edar View Post
    What about tectonics maps? And what about making maps based on tectonics? Mapping the mountains based on tectonics? As long as I know, no software have ever done this.
    You can use our tools to make simple tectonic plate overlays. Mapping the mountains based on tectonics would be a great way to go for world generation, but the first release concentrates on world and map design.

Last 4 days!

We've reached our fourth stretch goal, which includes multiple views in the same map project, map item links and border tools!

Our last three stretch goals have been revealed.

Fifth Stretch Goal: $19000
    • Dungeon Master Mode
    • Dungeon Master Tools

Sixth Stretch Goal: $22000
    • River and Road Contour Label Tool
    • Configurable Light Sources
    • Cloud Tool

Final Stretch Goal: $25000
    • Mac OS X Beta
    • Linux Beta

Thank you so much everyone for your support!

Less than 36 hours to go!

We've achieved the fifth stretch goal, DM tools, and we're closing in on the sixth!

Less than 36 hours to go!

We've achieved the fifth stretch goal, DM tools, and we're closing in on the sixth!
    The Kickstarter is now on $23,923, with just $1,077 needed to fund the Mac OS and Linux versions. The Kickstarter ends in 9 hours, so anyone who has been waiting for the Mac OS or Linux version to be funded should back now...or at least camp on the page for the next eight and a half hours.

There is an interview, with the Other World Mapper team, on Tabletop Terrors, if you want to know more about the software.
    New to cartography and seeking advice - eventual goal to make a large number of maps for the many worlds of the Spelljammer Campaign Setting

Guild Artisan

Does your mapper generate fractals ? At least for the coast lines ?

They have gone past $25,000 so anyone waiting for Mac OS and Linux should jump onboard before the Kickstarter ends in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    Does your mapper generate fractals ? At least for the coast lines ?
    If you have not backed yet, you only have 5 hours left to make your decision. I'll see if I can ping one of the staff at Other World Mapper for you.
    Last edited by Big Mac; 11-06-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Final stretch goal reached.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast