Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maps for Hoard of the Dragon Queen

What I started working on next was the 1st (possible) encounter in Episode 2. The "Stragglers". I'm kinda going overboard here and I don't know why I'm going this big with a map that probably won't be needed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmap - Stragglers.jpg 
Views:	3201 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	71650

I'll edit this post with an updated map when I finish it.

Edit: updated on 3-14-15, this is now a map for the 1st encounter in Episode 2 "The Stragglers".

Kinda wanted to add more ground clutter as I wanted it to make it seem like our stragglers decided to stop and rummage through a chest or two, etc but this will have to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hotdq_RaidersCampRearguard.jpg 
Views:	2096 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	71157  

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

These are great. I've been looking everywhere for maps to cover these areas and love them. Can I ask what software your using, I tried to do the same thing in Dungeon Designer 3 but wasn't able to get the path and lighting to work correctly and I would love to create and share with the community as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Curtis View Post
    These are great. I've been looking everywhere for maps to cover these areas and love them. Can I ask what software your using, I tried to do the same thing in Dungeon Designer 3 but wasn't able to get the path and lighting to work correctly and I would love to create and share with the community as well.
    Thanks!

I'm using Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud). It's a steep learning curve if you're new to it, but it's incredibly powerful once you get rollin' with it. It's cloud based now, so you can pay Adobe $10 a month and you're off to the races.

Stay tuned, as I'm gonna start in on the "Rearguard" map now. Gonna try to have it done in a few hours (which is when our session will start).

Ok, well this is kind of a hot mess of incomplete, unfinished color/brightness/hue/saturation adjustment, etc - but session starts in an hour. Gotta prep.

This is my version of the "Rearguard" map. If the party doesn't reach this encounter this session, maybe I'll come back and finish it.

Name:	bmap - Rearguard.jpg 
Views:	2497 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	71654

Just wanted to get this one posted before our next session starts. My version of the HotDQ Dragon Hatchery. The party should definitely hit the Dragon Hatchery tonight. Not to sound like a broken record, but once again I didn't exactly finish this one. Sorry.

Name:	hotdq_RaidersDragonHatchery.jpg 
Views:	3744 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	72168

I did change some things (I often change ALOT when I'm using a published adventure). Notably, room 9 - the "Dragon Shrine" is pretty different. I didn't go with a polished stone look to everything, and I added a (kinda cruddy) statue in the SE corner of the room that's meant to look like Tiamat kinda comin' outta the wall over a large dias, etc. The chest is in front of the statue.

Anyway, enjoy!

Edit: Whoops, forgot the carpet to cover the hole in room 11.

Name:  carpet.png
Views: 12459
Size:  29.3 KB

Hey mate! Thank you so much for making the maps avaiable! I've been using them every week on my campaign!
    I've caught up on your releases, can you give some info about what are the maps that you gonna release next, and when it's going to happen? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Darko View Post
    Hey mate! Thank you so much for making the maps avaiable! I've been using them every week on my campaign!
    I've caught up on your releases, can you give some info about what are the maps that you gonna release next, and when it's going to happen? Thanks!
    My group is in the middle of the Dragon Hatchery right now, so I don't know that you'll see another map this week. Maybe next week, but I don't know that it'll be a map that's straight from the adventure.

Part of the problem is going to be that we're getting to a part of the module that I don't care for too terribly much. I do this with pretty much all published adventures - I use them as a foundation, take the ideas I like, and toss the ones I don't (which is sometimes alot of them). A couple examples with this module are that I'm probably going to send them west to Baldur's Gate after the Dragon Hatchery (which is pretty much in keeping with the module), but then I think I'm going to shift gears into an ocean adventure. Never had a water adventure before, so that might be fun. Bad guys will take a ship to Waterdeep, party will be a few days behind on their own ship, etc. Then the adventure is gonna park in Waterdeep for awhile. Possibly quite awhile, as I'm going to send the bad guys into the depths of Undermountain (always wanted to do an adventure in Waterdeep, the Yawning Portal, and Undermountain as well).

As of right now, I intend to make maps for the following locations from the module, though in my particular campaign they might come at different places, etc:

• A road encounter map or two - At least one of these will probably come next.
    • Carnath Roadhouse - A couple weeks from now. Maybe?
    • Might do a city map of Elturel. Dunno. Might be biting off more than I have time to chew.
    • Might see one or two battlemaps of city streets, buildings all around, etc. Will probably be for Waterdeep, but could be used for any city adventure.
    • Castle Naerytar - Might be months from now. Might not come at all. We'll see where the adventure takes us.

I might swing the adventure back to Parnast and the Well of Dragons towards the end, but I dunno. I can say that I definitely will not be doing Skyreach Castle, as that section of the module got a little too fanciful/improbable for me.

Sorry, that might be more answer than you expected!

Oh, and thanks! If others can maybe have some fun with their games using these maps - mission accomplished.

Hey Torgaard, just wanted to chime in and say thanks a ton for the maps! I used them for the first chapter, and they were a big hit with my group. I hope your group appreciates them just as much!

Hey! I really liked these maps! I'd liketo know what are the scales you're using for these maps. I mean, how many feet are there in each size of each map and how can I calculate this number?

Thanks!

The scale is basically 50 pixels = 5'. I typically put a little 50pixel x 50 pixel square somewhere in the image (usually near a corner) to be a guide for putting a grid on the map, particularly if you're using Fantasy Grounds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast