Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disturbingly Organic Maps: Is this made of bubblegum?

Wip Disturbingly Organic Maps: Is this made of bubblegum?

I'm working on a set of "fleshy" maps, for overly organic alien worlds, demonic planes, or for when madness inducing other worlds intrude onto this one. This is my initial pass at one of the maps. May main concern are the textures, though pink in traditional for these settings I kinda feel like the whole thing looks like its made out of bubble gum. Should I yellow it more, darken it, desaturate it, or leave it as is? Other thoughts and criticisms are equally welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EwWhy.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	68511

Pretty neat. What about trying to make it look wetter - gooier? Mind you, I don't have a suggestion as to how to do that.

This is a very good idea for a theme. Just throwing out some ideas you didn't ask for: disturbing things to see out of place; teeth, fingers and finger nails. You might also consider adding hints of veins or something which along with SJS' wetness suggestion would help with the bubblegum problem.

Very creepy,,,Love it! I would try slightly darker, slightly desaturated.. maybe -15% on each.

Thanks for the advice and additional pairs of eyes, the nice bruise like undertones are popping much better to my eyes. I can promise I have been collecting spare organs, sensory and otherwise, to complete the set.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EwWhyAgain.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	68515

Oh eww. It worked.

It's so gross but so awesome!

that does look pretty nice hehe.

If i wanted to go for fleshy i might suggest getting blackened spots to simulate necrotic flesh, or even places that are more blue than others with kind of a hard to discern vein texture or something. (just noticed you did so in the second picture and it looks quite alot better)
    Especially if this is also usable for a demonic plane.

i think it could be made a bit more messy and uneven, the first iteration of it looks a bit cartoony, a bit Xcom hehe. depends on the level of realism you are aiming for i guess.

The spines do give me the creeps though
    Last edited by Leondias; 10-22-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Excellent detailing! It's a little pinker than just about anyone that I've seen with the possible exception of a drunken Irishman I saw once. I would say that adding with a yellowish or light brown texture that's mottled in the alpha channel and set to fairly low opacity might lower the overall pink effect for the background.One of the best ways to get skin color is to plop your hand down on the scanner and blur the result to get rid of the high-frequency details. Regardless of your overall skin tone, the tough skin places tend to have little to no pigment and a scan followed by a blur will get a good pinky base color. Or so I'm told.

If you've ever played the ancient game Everquest, the Plane of Disease is a concept similar to this. The "trees" are big ugly hairs. and there are lots of other unpleasantness. https://www.everquest.com/images/new...p_pod_1680.jpg is an example of the really old graphics.

The most alien-looking living thing that I've ever seen is an umbilical cord. Weird white plastic tubes full of pulsing life...

I promise to take your suggestions as long as you promise not to put any umbilical cords on my scanner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast