Thread: Celestial orbits on multiple planes

Default Celestial orbits on multiple planes

I'm starting a spelljammer campaign, which isn't the point, but in doing so I need to create some solar systems. In doing so I've been using a top down approach which generally works fine for systems whose celestial orbits are on a single plane.

I'm looking for a way to use a top down display and show orbits on multiple planes. Using an ellipse can be confused for an elliptical orbit. I've searched around and not sure if a proper way exists, I'm wondering if there's a way to go with a more three dimensional look or possibly adding a secondary graphic of a small cutaway showing a side view of the orbits.

I think your best bet its to use ellipses with the centres shaded in to indicate what is above and below the plane. Or consider doing something like an isometric view. In almost any representation though it is a very difficult thing to communicate visually and if you succeed I'd love to see some examples.

I'd shade the lines indicating the orbits, so the section coming towards you are brighter, and the section further away are darker. It will convey the information but I'm not so certain it will help the players visualize it. Something along these lines but more thought out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlanetNonsense.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	68560

I think the idea of this poster is quite good if increased by colors/contrasts.

Name:	da5513d92b645ea91627196e0e716a68.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	68562
    I tried it once for one of my setting.

Name:	inclinaison.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	68563

Madcowchef: I can always count on you for help...I like the idea, and it's quick and easy with a gradient but would only work for minor gradient shift...

Ilanthar: That's close to what I've been playing with to do. It's not top down but I can't see a better way to do it. Does anyone know a formula or way to calculate the the elpises and offset angles? I could eyeball it, but would prefer something a bit more solid. I'm sure I can figure it out with trial and error if nobody knows...