Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
Sorry, I meant civilisation.
Depending if you delve into fantasy or not, you can evoke the power of author's license and make civilisation as old as you like...what period of history are they in? How advanced is the world?
Decide the metal composition of the world, so as to mark the places that would have gained abilities with bronze and iron first, and from there, depending on how old the world is and how much one country could affect another, decide how old human civilisation is...if it's old enough, you could end up with some very interesting political structures. Remember the younger the world is, the less it has been explored...
It's a fantasy world but we are staying close to the real laws of physics. How old is the planet and how old is the stars around is tied to the laws of physics right now, unless someone states otherwise for some reason. This means that the estimates of Chick and Deadshade are possibly what we will follow on that particular topic. Of course, the creation of the world might be helped by the Gods, but I'm not too found of that as a serious explanation. The civs on the planets probably believe the Gods made the world but the real explanation does not need to be religious.

The era is late middle ages and for more details: http://www.cartographersguild.com/co...tml#post240381
although I'm not sure if this post is up to date...

That is about the highest level of technology for the most advanced countries. Some might be a little ahead but most are lagging behind.

We still do not have any countries, not officially. And I don't know where civilization developed first or how they would spread.

Good question: How old is the oldest civilization?