Thread: What is the largest file G.projector can export?

Default What is the largest file G.projector can export?

So far, the largest I was able to have is 3000 by 1500 pixels, exporting the file in png. My original file is 10 000 by 5000, so I'm losing quite a lot of the quality of the original. When i try to go above that, G.projector freeze indefinitely.

Is there any tips to improve the maximum size ?

According to the G.Projector manual at http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/gprojector/help/ : "If you use larger input images — maps 5000×2500 pixels or larger — from other sources, please be aware that G.Projector may encounter memory problems if you have more than one map window open at a time. The program may hang or report a "heap space" error if the source image is in excess of 10,000×5000 pixels."

G-Projector seems to depend entirely on the Java-settings.
    Been trying to alter the Java heap size, who seems to affect the amount of RAM available for G.Projector, but after 32 GB I have not reached more. For that to kick in, I installed 128 GB of RAM in my Win10 64-bit system.
    I export from GP at 20x10k, and for that I can import no more than 24x12k with G.Projector

Building globes now

I've managed to go as high as 7500 by 3750 on a two hemisphere export, but that is the highest option that G.projector has offered me. As far as import, I've been able to import about the same size though I usually run around 7200 by 3600.

Ack! Didn't realize how old this thread was. Program parameters have probably changed significant since the original post.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-10-2021 at 03:19 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    I've managed to go as high as 7500 by 3750 on a two hemisphere export, but that is the highest option that G.projector has offered me. As far as import, I've been able to import about the same size though I usually run around 7200 by 3600.

Ack! Didn't realize how old this thread was. Program parameters have probably changed significant since the original post.
    Old thread yes, but a good question and it needed an answer The program is quite much the same today, but NASA seems to attend to it, build further and put up updates, two have been posted 2021 already! They do not reply on mails thogh, not the ones that I have sent anyway