Thread: Looking for a way to do virtual play with maps created in CC3/DD3

Default Looking for a way to do virtual play with maps created in CC3/DD3

So in the past I've printed maps made in CC3 and DD3 whether they were hex overland maps of square dungeon maps.

I really like using CC3 and would love to be able to keep using it but find a way to run a virtual table.

What I have in mind is create the map in CC3 and then be able to put it on the TV and move the tokens using a laptop or ipad.

Does this sound doable? if so, how should I start?

I know there is some software out there that let you put a map on the TV but all I've seen so far seems to require you to make the map in said software. I'm not closed to this idea, but would really like to be able to use CC3 for the actual map making part if at all possible.

I would also love to be able to do a fog of war type effect for rooms the PCs have not been into yet.

If anyone has tips or ideas I'd love to here them!

Thanks!

Blog Entries

pretty sure fantasy grounds (paid) and maptools (free) allows you to use maps you made outside the programs, then you have to output the pc's video to the tv, which most modern tvs have a pc input

Quote Originally Posted by Revock View Post
    pretty sure fantasy grounds (paid) and maptools (free) allows you to use maps you made outside the programs, then you have to output the pc's video to the tv, which most modern tvs have a pc input
    Is maptools the same as maptool from the rptools.net site?

As long as you can export the map from CC3 you could then upload it to Roll20 and have your virtual map and the fog of war option as an added bonus. Basic membership is also in the highly affordable free category.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    As long as you can export the map from CC3 you could then upload it to Roll20 and have your virtual map and the fog of war option as an added bonus. Basic membership is also in the highly affordable free category.
    Interesting, just need to export it as an image?

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Yes. I use maps I've made in Photoshop with Maptool all the time -- just export as a JPG. Ditto for Roll20. I assume DD3 and CC3 can export as a JPG.

Maptool supports hex grids, so you can use overland maps in it; I don't know if Roll20 does.