Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erythræum, the rpg world

Default Grids

Quote Originally Posted by kortleggur View Post
    Perhaps it would be more standard to use a tile-sett to make players more comfortable. Or will that curb there creativity, I am not making a video-game here, no! What do you think?
    As someone who doesn't use grids, whatever you do, it would be great if you can produce maps without grids as well as those with

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected kortleggur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
    As someone who doesn't use grids, whatever you do, it would be great if you can produce maps without grids as well as those with
    I can make versions of the same map with no grids. But I wonder about the scale and other things. How do you use the non-grid maps in your adventures?

Oh, I meant if you want me to perform one of the pro version-only functions on it. Like, if you wanted to export it as an image file, I was offering to do it for you.

I can make versions of the same map with no grids. But I wonder about the scale and other things. How do you use the non-grid maps in your adventures?
    Many VTTs (Virtual TableTops) add the grids themselves, so adding a pre-gridded map just results in two grids.

As JKat says, most VTTs add a grid. Mine adds a grid (hexes at 1' game scale across flats).

As I see it only two things are essential for a map, in terms of scaling...

1. You are consistent in your scaling, so 1' on the map in one place is 1' on the map in another. By 1' I mean in game units, not an actual foot in real life

2. You use a high enough resolution so that when zoomed in (for VTTs), the map doesn't look "too" blurred.

Now clearly 2 is down to personal taste, and what is meant by "zoomed in".

I like to zoom in to a level of one (or two) figures taking up the whole screen. Just to observe the quality of the detail. Most top-down figure painters provide sufficient detail to do that. If the surrounding map has less detail it doesn't look so good.

On other threads I've raised this point about scale, and I've just started using a 4 pixels per game world inch. That appears to offer a pretty good scale for me. However, you can go a little less and it's still good quality.

I'd say once you get in the realms of 2 pixels per game world inch, it starts to look blurred close up.

I better add at this point, that I'm not talking about DPI, as that caused confusion in my other thread. It appears the folks here are using DPI to represent a scaling for printing purposes, i.e. a scale from resolution to real world printed media. Which for me adds complexity in that, printed media would need to scale to whatever miniature scale you were using, 28mm, 54mm... 12", etc

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    Oh, I meant if you want me to perform one of the pro version-only functions on it. Like, if you wanted to export it as an image file, I was offering to do it for you.
    I am curious on how it would look like with the pro version, therefore I did zip the file and here it is: Attachment 70845

Here ya go! http://imgur.com/a/gJ2bQ

I added a custom texture for the ground, as well as a whole bunch of shading, colored icons (custom and incorporated), notes, and labels. The imgur album explains all of the features. How does it look?

BTW. none of that is from a real adventure module; I just made it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    Here ya go! http://imgur.com/a/gJ2bQ

I added a custom texture for the ground, as well as a whole bunch of shading, colored icons (custom and incorporated), notes, and labels. The imgur album explains all of the features. How does it look?

BTW. none of that is from a real adventure module; I just made it all up.
    This is Cool, thanks. I like what you did with the ligth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12