As someone who adds grids automatically through a VTT, and since my grids are 1' hexes across flats (in game units), I really appreciate maps that are without a grid.

A few cartographers provide grid and non-grid versions.

Since most VTTs add grids (I assume), and adding grids is relatively trivial I see very little reason to add them during map creation. Any opinions on this?

Now I see one issue myself, in that grids are generally layered underneath furniture. At least that's my preference for aesthetic reasons.

This brings me to another issue for me, that of placing furniture within a map. Again I really really really appreciate a map with and without furniture. Again, it's easy to add later, easy (I feel) for a cartographer to provide both types and VTTs allow furniture to be added anyway.

Another reason I think cartographers include furniture is to avoid folks re-using their maps and perhaps selling them, with just different furniture and/or terrain?!?

The reason this is an issue is that players can and do move furniture around. In my VTT I can simply slide the furniture to where they move it. Not to mention I can reuse maps with differing furniture.

I realise maps aren't so pretty with the furniture removed, but if you can please provide versions without, I think many folks will be appreciative of the flexibility. None more so than me.

Any opinions?