Thread: [ProArtist] Tips for Self-Publishing

Question [ProArtist] Tips for Self-Publishing

Hi guys. I'm thinking about trying my hand and self-publishing some of my work via Drive-Through-RPG and possibly LULU. As someone quite new to the realm of self-publishing I'd really be keen to receive any advice those more seasoned in this area might have to give.

In particular, I'd be curious to know what the average range of sales per product tends to be for indie publishers using Drive-through-RPG. Having a realistic projection like this would help me to assess what price I should set for the product.

In addition, any advice on how to go about getting one's work copyrighted would be much appreciated. I've just been using Creative Commons thus far.

Also, what sorts of methods have proven effective in advertising products outside of the Drive-Through-RPG venue?

Finally, any other tips and advice you might have would be very welcome.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm pretty sure we have had some threads on some of these points over the years. I'm not sure how up to date they are though. I will be looking back here as well as this is something I have always wanted to do but still haven't gotten around to. I think I hesitate because I keep improving and always feel like I've got more to work on so I'm not ready. How stupid...I know.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Arsheesh, I've got a 5 level castle and castle grounds map that I sell on DTRPG for $2.99 and I've map object sets of 50 objects for $4.99.

I never try to sell single maps, usually there would be multiple levels, so an inn might have main floor, upstairs guest rooms and cellar, perhaps an exterior barn and stable as well - I try to provide lots of content then try offer it for a fairly low price. If you ask too much, you don't get many sales. Consider my 100 map object set for $10.99, I don't sell many of that set, however the smaller 50 object $4.99 set sells quite well. I don't have an exact formula for charging for map products, but in my experience, selling items for an average of $5.00 is a good place to start.

I've got a Kaidan product that has a written mini-adventure, some new haunts, a curse and a unique ghost template, otherwise the product is a room by room gazetteer of a five story Japanese bath house, and sliced maps at 1 inch = 5 foot scale, 9 pieces per level - so 45 pages of sliced hand-drawn maps. I sell this product for only $4.99 as well. Consider this a detailed map product with some game mechanics as well - something that a cartographer alone cannot normally provide, but I still don't sell all that for more than $5.

I suggest you look at Jonathan Roberts who has some map products for sale as well.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Banned User

What would you think sells most frequently? Map objects, battle maps, indoor buildings (inns, stores, etc), dungeon maps, regional maps? A package deal with a little of everything? A full adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    ...this is something I have always wanted to do but still haven't gotten around to. I think I hesitate because I keep improving and always feel like I've got more to work on so I'm not ready. How stupid...I know.
    Yeah I've always been too busy as well for anything more than just the occasional commission. However I'm in a different season of life now and want to make a go at seeing if I can make this hobby earn a little residual income.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Arsheesh, I've got a 5 level castle and castle grounds map that I sell on DTRPG for $2.99 and I've map object sets of 50 objects for $4.99.

I never try to sell single maps, usually there would be multiple levels, so an inn might have main floor, upstairs guest rooms and cellar, perhaps an exterior barn and stable as well - I try to provide lots of content then try offer it for a fairly low price. If you ask too much, you don't get many sales. Consider my 100 map object set for $10.99, I don't sell many of that set, however the smaller 50 object $4.99 set sells quite well. I don't have an exact formula for charging for map products, but in my experience, selling items for an average of $5.00 is a good place to start.

I've got a Kaidan product that has a written mini-adventure, some new haunts, a curse and a unique ghost template, otherwise the product is a room by room gazetteer of a five story Japanese bath house, and sliced maps at 1 inch = 5 foot scale, 9 pieces per level - so 45 pages of sliced hand-drawn maps. I sell this product for only $4.99 as well. Consider this a detailed map product with some game mechanics as well - something that a cartographer alone cannot normally provide, but I still don't sell all that for more than $5.

I suggest you look at Jonathan Roberts who has some map products for sale as well.
    Thanks for the Info Gameprinter, that's quite helpful. I've seen Jonathon's Fantastic Maps line and will probably purchase one or two as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    What would you think sells most frequently? Map objects, battle maps, indoor buildings (inns, stores, etc), dungeon maps, regional maps? A package deal with a little of everything? A full adventure?
    Was this question directed at me or Gameprinter? Personally I have no idea.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

I've purchased a few things myself, for my own D+D campaign, mostly text description stuff rather than maps. I toyed with the idea of writing up some stuff and making some small maps to go with it, but it just didn't look very lucrative, so I haven't done anything about that idea. That's why I was wondering (from Gameprinter, or anyone else with experience) about what type of stuff people actually buy most.

I'd say Map Object sets sell better than maps themselves (in my experience), however, adventure/map products sell even better. One thing about adventure products, is that you're more likely to get reviewers to do reviews on adventure products than map only products - especially if you get a good review that is. In the future I plan to release other mini-adventure products with custom monsters, mechanics as well as large sections of it as sliced map PDF products. I also have plans for plenty of other map object sets.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Banned User

Mythic Maps!! Great Now maybe you'll share some data on whether this is worthwhile or not

Best wishes and I hope you sell zillions!!

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Mythic Maps!! Great Now maybe you'll share some data on whether this is worthwhile or not

Best wishes and I hope you sell zillions!!

Cheers,
    Cornelia
    Good point, just added more detail. Thanks