Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I was just having a close look at your latest and I'm wondering if you've tried adding any kind of edges to your flowing water. I'm not sure exactly what would work, maybe just a think dark line. The cliff tops look amazing, the detail on the grass. I really love this map.

Map

Abu - that's cool. Herrlich - I like that. It sort of works for the town's original inhabitants.
    Thanks ChickPea.
    Thanks Ilanthar. I'm doing more comms during the week and having to make up for it on the weekend. Regarding the reliefs, I may change them some but it has most of the feel I was going for.
    Meshon - thank you sir. Yep, it takes quite a lot doing a progression of a city. More than I had anticipated.
    Regarding the water, I have not gotten to that yet on Haerlech 864. However you can see what I am going to be doing in this pic of Haerlech 492 -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 04b mergeCROP.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	955.1 KB 
ID:	71727
    Disregard the roof colors in it. Those will have to be redone to the new terracotta color scheme.

I also still have to create boat elements and a bunch of other little elements for the city.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 03-16-2015 at 12:47 PM.

This city is looking epic! The level of detail in the design is great, it is so organic and really feels like it could be a thriving coastal city. Are you planning on adding in any ships at the port? Roof color, hmm, are the roofs primarily stone, wood or a mix? What sort of materials are available in the area? what is the climate like? What sort of culture is it? I get a Mediterranean feel, I like the blues of the smaller buildings down by the water.

~Sharpie

Oops I responded to an earlier part of the thread in my last posting, I just saw the post you have on page 5...your map looks wonderful! The roof colors are great and make the town feel solid and cohesive.

~Sharpie

Thanks Sharpie.
    You might have seen it above... yep, still have boats and ships to do, amongst various other things to go in there.
    And then once all that's ready I still have to combine the 2 maps into one cohesive map with info and such.
    So still quite a lot to do.

I praise the terracotta colour scheme, even though it’s a mediterranean/Italian style of colour for roofs/houses, while Haerleach may seem a more “Nordic” city according to her name.
    Anyway great wip, this is going to be a fantastic map.

I agree with that Fabio. It's one of the problems with only showing roofs - your choices for color and what those choices imply.
    The most probable roof material would have been wood or slate shingle, or even thatch. I tried some browns for wood and some greys for slate but was not happy with how that looked. Usually I would draw the roof tiles/shingles and it would not be a problem. But with this city being as large as it is, drawing in shingles wasn't going to happen. I did try it but it just made the roofs look messy and dark. I just need to work out a style for roofs when I do cities like this.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Usually I would draw the roof tiles/shingles and it would not be a problem. But with this city being as large as it is, drawing in shingles wasn't going to happen.
    But it would be ok for the upcoming decennial challenge!

Maybe. That would be a real commitment.
    I've been playing with a couple ideas for that particular challenge.
    I'm still not sure which I would want to proceed with.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Oh yeah, the flowing water looks great. I should never have doubted

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast