Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Map of Ronin

This is a great looking map! The cities are excellent, but I think just a bit too large compared with the rest of the map. Nice work!

Very nice map Sap. You are stinking fast but that is possibly just because I feel so slow.

As far as these claims about how a map are made that is just ridiculous. I have yet to see two actual artists make a map the same way, unless they are following a tutorial made by another artist. Also I expect this so called fantastic map is nothing more than photo manipulation with layers. Not trying to dis on photo manipulation but honestly I have little respect for it when compared against actual hand drawn art. Not that it can't be beautiful but it doesn't belong in the same category.

It is something to get original art that you can market verse photo tweeks. There is no accounting for taste when it comes to art but if EPIC is just manipulation or a bunch of standard Photoshop effects you over delivered.

Its quite possible that One man's Epic is another man's rubbish. At least yours got ranked as awesome by the client.

On a side bonus we now know where to go for legal advice, lol.

Have to say this paragon of success doesn't seem to know how things work in the small community of artists on the internet. Have fun with finding someone else next time, hopefully he's happy with that new Van Gogh guy.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Thank you, guys!

@Jax: I totally agree with you!
    Luckily most people are honest.

Nice map with your lovely iconic cities. I really like the ocean ripples on this one too.

Another great map, I agree with whom appreciated the sea pattern, I love it.

And I must agree with Jaxilon completely.

Artistic cartographers' hallmarks and styles are clearly discernible for people who has tried at least sometimes to draw something and for people who spend hours looking at maps, like me and most of you.
    We know how much time it takes to draw that damn mountain the way we want and we can mostly easily tell if a particular map is made by an artist or another. In our Community we can see how artists grow their talents and we can appreciate epic works in progress and really understand how much effort and commitment and talent it takes to create an original and decent work. For God’s sake, we discuss hours on colour adjustments, mountains shading, rivers splitting.
    But there is a multitude, out there, who thinks that with a touch of the keyboard and the right software you can draw Leonardo’s Mona Lisa.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice map with your lovely iconic cities. I really like the ocean ripples on this one too.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by fabio p View Post
    Another great map, I agree with whom appreciated the sea pattern, I love it.

And I must agree with Jaxilon completely.

Artistic cartographers' hallmarks and styles are clearly discernible for people who has tried at least sometimes to draw something and for people who spend hours looking at maps, like me and most of you.
    We know how much time it takes to draw that damn mountain the way we want and we can mostly easily tell if a particular map is made by an artist or another. In our Community we can see how artists grow their talents and we can appreciate epic works in progress and really understand how much effort and commitment and talent it takes to create an original and decent work. For God’s sake, we discuss hours on colour adjustments, mountains shading, rivers splitting.
    But there is a multitude, out there, who thinks that with a touch of the keyboard and the right software you can draw Leonardo’s Mona Lisa.
    Exactly. Drawing maps has a lot to do with passion and creativity and not only hard- and software.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 04-18-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123