Thread: WIP - Space Archaeology Mission Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP - Space Archaeology Mission Map

Hello fellow cartographers!
    Inspired by Ilanthar's wonderful "Aarklash in space" map i decided to make "first contact" with space-mapping myself. Because i wanted to include different types of maps into this, i set a "space-archaeology mission" as the frame for it.
    I started with a map of a starfield / starcluster somewhere in the outer regions of a galaxy. I somewhat followed the fantastic tutorials by Greg Martin and devvv.
    This is the result so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starfield1.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	72885
    The work is still in progress. The nebulae need some refinement and i will put some bigger stars in it with "flare" / glow, etc. I'm also thinking of a grid or something like that. And ofc the labelling.

The starcluster map will be the background-map where i want to place other maps and objects/ info-texts on.
    I thought about the following:
    1.) A "window" with some general information, the mission/project objectives and some technical data and a blueprint? of the research-ship, i already started to wrestle with in sketch up.

2.) 3 maps with different "zoom levels"
    - a map of the planetary system
    - a map of/on the planet depicting the larger region. For the sketch i used Ilanthar's planet tutorial
    - a map of the planetary surface depicting the local area around the dig site.

This is how i thought the maps could be arranged. It's a first "sketch" and most of the elements, names, etc. are dummies for now:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	space_archaeology_wip1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	4.26 MB 
ID:	72886

After the experience to map under time pressure in the last lite challenge i plan to work on this project in a much slower pace, especially because i'm a total noob "in space" .
    So i would greatly appreciate any kind of suggestion, critique and comments!

Cheers,
    AL
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 04-22-2015 at 07:54 AM.