Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The semi-canonical maps of Middle Earth

Great maps! I love the style you've developed here.

I second Ilanthar. The style you use for this is really nice, and works very well with the theme. Great work J. Edward!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Like the first one, this second map is very nice. I like that clean and elegant color/design style (and that thematic titles is a great idea). Well done again J. !

Thank you Arsheesh. You do wonderful maps as well.
    Thanks Galendae. I will look into those points.
    Thank you Ilanthar. I am liking this style too.
    I am hoping I can refine it into a good workable, repeatable style. Though maybe with some color in the future maps.
    Thanks tainotim. I'd like to get it to a good useable atlas style for future use.
    Thanks as always Max.
    I did some more title lettering just for fun and practice yesterday. It isn't strictly maps but it relates to them so I decided to drop them in here.
    These aren't for maps I'm doing, except Mordor and Rhovanion, as I've used them already.
    I just thought it'd be fun to do Moria and the Shire and of course Middle Earth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle Earth lettering [M1] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	597.5 KB 
ID:	73784
    My sister thought the E at the end of shire was hard to see so I may redo that one if others agree.
    Cheers.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like all of those with the exception of Moria - it looks too cartoony for such a grimdark place. Kind of makes me think 'Fred Flintstone in Moria'.

You know what I'd like to see? A title for Fangorn Forest with the Ents forming the letters.

Love those titles! Have to agree with Diamond about Moria. The home of Balrogs shouldn't look so cutesy! I think the 'e' at the end of the Shire is OK. Possibly if I saw it on its own it might be a little harder to read, but when it's placed with the rest of the letters, I think it looks fine.

I'm so loving this thread!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Agree, Moria looks a bit too cutesy Shire's one is beautiful though maybe a bit overpowered compared to the ones of Mordor and Rhovanion you've already made?

I agree with you all on Moria. It didn't come out quite as planned.
    I thought it looked like it would go with a video game or maybe a cartoon style map.
    In my head, I was thinking about the old 2e version of Forgotten Realms but I didn't go look at it for reference, which maybe I should have.
    Max - yep, I agree. When I do the ones for a map it is more down played and subdued, not quite so bold.
    Diamond - Fangorn might look cool that way. That would take some work though.
    Thanks Diamond, ChickPea and Max.

Very cool J. Edward. Your wide range of different artistic skills never seize to amaze.

Concerning the Moria title, I agree with the other. Would love to see a mixture of something with mithril(silvery white) – Morias greatest treasure, and the dust, dread and darkness that followed

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good idea from tainotim - mithril silver is a good idea. You could make it kind of tarnished, maybe with some dwarf skulls and broken axes leaning up against the letters?

(Wow, I'm super enthused over these titles for some reason. )

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast