Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Shire (Middle Earth)-fantasy map

Excellent! It does draw you in and your eyes follow the roads from place to place.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

The way your forests fit with the hills is particularly well done on this one, excellent map

Banned User

Great map Max, very impressed by the detail. I thought I spotted an unfortunate spelling error, 'River ****ebourne' but after closer inspection the lower case r just looks like a t.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thank you guys for the kind comments, much appreciated! I'm glad to have reached my goal to bring you in a little journey in the Shire

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It looks great Max.
    I'm glad you made the suggestion for the friendly challenge.
    I think it was a good worthwhile venture.
    Thank you J. Actually I think you were at the start of the idea aswell And that was a fun idea

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
    As a lifelong Tolkien fan, I have to say this is one of the loveliest maps I've ever seen of the Shire. I don't know how you do it, but the color palette has a lazy, peaceful, summer's-day feel to it, maybe with a touch of harvest bounty, all very cozy and comfortable. This is a map of a place I'd love to ramble through.

In fact, I would say the quality here outmatches the official colored maps of Middle-Earth, or at least my recollection of them. Those are consciously grandiose, while this map is perfectly matched to the tone of its subject.

My only editorial comments are very minor: you have "Witywindle" for the River Withywindle, and "Towers Hills" for the Emyn Beraid, which Tolkien gives as Tower Hills. Otherwise, very nicely done indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
    One more very minor editorial comment: in the title box, it should be "Four Farthings" above the scale of miles and leagues.

And ChickPea's not the only one considering this for a wallpaper. In fact, I'd love to have a poster-sized version to hang on my actual wall, although I don't know if that's feasible. But it's a map where you can just wander and happily lose yourself, like the Shire itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Eeeks another possible typo: Should 'Archer' be 'Archet'?
    Thank you guys for having spotted the mispellings, I've fixed them and uplaoded a revised version of the map

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Great map Max, very impressed by the detail. I thought I spotted an unfortunate spelling error, 'River ****ebourne' but after closer inspection the lower case r just looks like a t.
    Thanks Sarithus. Yes, it's indeed a lower case r in the Shirebourn river.

This is just fantastic Max! You're filling up my inspiration folder I'll have you know! Oops, can't rep you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

THank you Arsheesh glad you liked it!

Wow, that is a real beauty! I more or less like everything about it. If i can, i'll rep. you (most probably, i can't yet ^^ ).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Stunning work! The colour choice is amazing and I love the border details.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12