Thread: New Online Map Editor [Created by Adwnt]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I do realize I'm double posting, but I do have significant improvements that I wan't to make known...

I've been working on improving the capabilities of the online map editor, and have the following features implemented:

- Exporting as both PNG and SVG
    --- You set the view to exactly what you want to save, and then click export. The tool will generate both an SVG and custom-scaled PNG image for you to download. This is great for getting quick pictures for the forum or your computer.
    - Online saving
    --- You can now save maps online using local storage. They will be deleted if you clear your browser data, but until then you can save and load straight from the tool. I recommend backing up your map to a file on your computer every so often just in case.
    - Extended the zooming functionality
    --- You can now zoom out even further to get more of your map on the screen. This allows you to set yourself up for great pictures or getting an all-encompassing view of your map.
    - Increased the efficiency
    --- I optimized the editor such that it is no longer limited by AngularJS' element bindings. It now is limited by the quickness of the for loop that layers the objects and HTML/SVG rendering. I still don't know the limits, and it will most definitely slow down as you add more, but I don't imagine you will experience a slow-down until you've created a lot, lot, lot of elements.
    - Added a clean up button
    --- Part of the optimization method that clears empty lines. Run this every once in a while to keep your map free of these little guys.
    - Label Rotation
    --- You can now place labels at an angle. This is simple a visual tweak, but it makes the maps feel much more polished.

As you can see I've been hard at work on this. I think next will be an underground metro view with different colored lines. We'll see how it goes though.

Please take a look at what I've done and tell me what you think!
    Last edited by adwnt; 08-09-2015 at 10:47 PM.