Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Inhabitants of the world. Any need for illustrations?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@12Rounds - More cool stuff, most excellent!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Back to Thrubmorton Fens. I've no idea if anyone has been thinking much about the lizard men of Ansium, but here is something I've come up with.

---------------

In the bigger metropolies of Ansium the general notions of lizard folk is that of vile, stenchy and dumb monsters. Mothers tell their children to behave or lizard-monsters will come and eat them. Of course much of what the average man knows about lizard folk is wrong and based on second-hand stories, general fear of the unknown and strange and the fact that most people in bigger cities never in their whole lives see a lizard man.

Then again ... many of the lizard men are what they are perceived to be - vile, stenchy and dumb. Those are usually the young ones and the young ones are the usual culprits when one speaks of crude, flesh-tearing vile lizard monsters who attack merchant caravans, rural villages and whatnot.

The lizard men do actually have social structure, spoken and written language with associated folklore and tales, and many esoteric human scholars even go so far as to say the lizard men form a hierarchical - albeit fluctuating - and rather unified society. Lizard men are rare outside their natural habitat, the swampy and moist regions of Ansium. But much of those regions are also totally devoid of lizard men. Scholars believe that lizard men are very picky about their habitat and that not just any swamp will suffice as a place for lizard men to call their home.

Lizard men are believed to have kings who rule all he lizard men in their natural geographic region. Kings of different regions may not even know each other since it's extremely rare for lizard men leave their habitat for extended periods of time. That's why there is apparently no higher structure and the hierarchy of lizard men society seems to stop at the regional level. Nevertheless lizard men are aware that there are lizard men living in numerous regions around the world and lizard lore seems to indicate that there exists similar age-old legends and stories between even remote lizard men colonies.

Lizard men do not appreciate stationary dwellings - like humans do - and instead only rarely erect any kind of permament structures. A notable exception are the peculiar mystic standing stones located in every area where there is or has been lizard men activity. The stones are believed to be shamanistic and a substantial number of stories seems to conform that lizard men indeed have highly competent, educated and revered shamans among them.

"Sshraak". It's a lizard man term that roughly translates to "fearless". That's also the name of the lizard man king who rules an almost unreachable swampy region that humans call Deathchaser Fen in Thrubmorton Fens. The region that Sshraak rules contains small islands and hard land as well as swamps and in part it overlaps the regional influence of cities like Mullion, Morton and Nortonspire. This causes regional conflicts on regular basis. Lizard men consider human inhabitans as invaders to their sacred old lands and humans treat the lizard men as little else than a menacing evil that needs to get rid of to make way for a civilised way of life.

Sshraak usually keeps out of direct conflict and instead he commands his senior lieutenants who in turn command hordes of younger lizard men. These hordes are loosely organised into raiding parties attacking in a seemingly chaotic pattern anything that tries to move in their land. Some of the raiding parties go a little longer outside the core areas of lizard men and have extended even into Fenridge Castle.

### PIC ###

Last edited by 12rounds; 10-28-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

ohhhhh.... I love the topdown mini!!! did you draw that straight up with no 3d type of rendering first? .... I suspect you did just draw it like that with out some model to go off of... but I thought I might ask first rather than assume.... Great illustration... fabulous...

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    ohhhhh.... I love the topdown mini!!! did you draw that straight up with no 3d type of rendering first? .... I suspect you did just draw it like that with out some model to go off of... but I thought I might ask first rather than assume.... Great illustration... fabulous...
    Read up above where he explains his process. It is a Poser figure with node work and post work.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Another top quality drawing and background. Great work 12Rounds
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

More amazing stuff, fantastic!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Amazing stuff again. Unbelievable and such good standard again I don't know how you do it. I have a 3D lizard man head you can have if you like - I dont know what poser imports but it might be cool to have a play. I was going to texture it up at some stage.

Have you seen the thread for Crazy Krull. Maybe you might like to have a go at some of his men. Sorta viking like, very skilled boatmen who protect merchants on the Crazy Krull crossing. I have done Krull himself but your welcome to have a better go at him and I am using that great Wyvern as his mount. So you have lizard men, Krull, Mount so just some boats men and generic merchants and there would be the full set !

This is really excellent stuff. I tried to rep some more but apparently I am being too chaste and need to whore it a bit first.

I might just have to post a little battle map in Hardy Point with Krull and Lizard men...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-25-2008 at 07:52 PM.

That Lizard man is just plain awesome!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Have you seen the thread for Crazy Krull. Maybe you might like to have a go at some of his men. Sorta viking like, very skilled boatmen who protect merchants on the Crazy Krull crossing.
    Yeah I read all that and that's why I wanted to locate Sshraak in that area. And yes I'm thinking I'll have a go at some of the mercenaries and more lizard men later on.

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    ohhhhh.... I love the topdown mini!!! did you draw that straight up with no 3d type of rendering first?
    For the topdown and illustration above: totalling to around 1,5 hours setting things up in 3D and 3 hours in Photoshop.

I don't hide my work flow in any way and I'm flattered whenever people have a hard time deciding whether one of my images is based on a rendering or whether it's an actual drawing. That's what I call success myself!

Personally I only care about the final look and don't mind what kind of tools it takes to get there. I'm not a fan of plain renderings myself. Many try to achieve the "looks like an actual photo!" -look, but I'm the opposite in trying to go the other way. I know lots of people look down on 3d/2d work ... "Oh you just pushed buttons to get that. Big deal.", but the main point is that *I* enjoy the results. If it's liked by anyone else, that's just an added bonus!

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast