Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aug / Sept 15 Lite Challenge: Make a Mapping Element

Post Aug / Sept 15 Lite Challenge: Make a Mapping Element

Aug / Sept 15 Lite Challenge: Make a Mapping Element

We have done this a couple times, but it is a popular subject and it has been a while.
    Create a MAPPING ELEMENT. Anything you want to make that would be used on a map.
    If you are into regional or world maps you could create a set of mountain icons or brushes, a map border, a cartouche, a compass rose, an old fashioned illustration like a sea serpent, or even a parchment background.
    If you are into Battlemaps, then you could make tiles, furniture, objects, transparent covers, trees, rocks, buildings, siege weapons, boats, water effects like waves, fireplaces, stairs, shadows, complex presets such as full kitchens, bedrooms, throne rooms, stables etc.

In the past some people have created a set of objects. That's OK, but to keep it fair a set can only have 6 separate items and they must be related. For example: 6 chairs, or 6 rugs, or 6 village icons, but not a set that is a chair, table, window, hammer and a horse. If you do a set, post them as individual uploads so they can be downloaded and used but then for a final post put them all on one background so the Thumbnail scraper thingy will display the whole set as one item.

The Lite Challenge will end on September 14 and will be followed by 3 days of Voting.

The winner will receive a shiny new Silver Compass.

As always, please include the following in your thread:

Title each new thread Aug / Sept 2015 Lite Challenge - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ### otherwise your maps won't be in the Thumbnail section. It is best to only have 1 map of the latest WIP in that specific post to be sure the WIP you want is in that section.
    Last edited by Bogie; 08-20-2015 at 06:32 PM.

I think I'll have to join this one too. I made some heraldic shields in a past map that were well received, so I think I'll go back to that well for this challenge. If we're making a set of something, is there a maximum number to be considered for the challenge?

Haha, this will be fun to watch. Maybe even do something for. I've been sketching recently a bunch of those regional items you mentioned, but I don't know as they lend well to individual mapping elements. We'll see.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

That's really cool!

I've been thinking about doing some isometric castles that could be used as icons on maps. I'm thinking I'll base them on some real life Scottish castles (there are certainly plenty to choose from!). Might throw in a ruin too, if I can.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I think I'll have to join this one too. I made some heraldic shields in a past map that were well received, so I think I'll go back to that well for this challenge. If we're making a set of something, is there a maximum number to be considered for the challenge?

A set of 6 related items is the maximum.

I'm hearing some great ideas already!

Great thanks! I think I have a theme in mind too.

Maybe I'll do some little place-of-interest illustrations that can be floated around on a map or set around the edges. That'd be fun, and they're something I feel can be more easily gotten away with when building a map with different styled elements than pieced-together hand drawn terrain bits.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Maybe I'll do some little place-of-interest illustrations that can be floated around on a map or set around the edges. That'd be fun, and they're something I feel can be more easily gotten away with when building a map with different styled elements than pieced-together hand drawn terrain bits.
    Great idea! I'd love to have some brushes with such things, too.

Two people have already asked me about how to make or upload photoshop brushes, so if anyone needs help with the mechanics of that, just ask.

Following the parameters originally set up for this challenge, Chick reduced the number of elements to 6 in her entry.
    I can see where a 6 element limit greatly restricts what can be done with her brush set, and I would like to see more.

Since I am the only other person to post so far, I am considering raising the limit to 10. Does anyone object to that change?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast