Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The great and holy Kingdom of Atya

This is looking fab. I love the very subtle tone differences between the different regions, and the font and paper texture all work beautifully together. Great job so far!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Wonderful map. I'm not sure if it's intentional but i love the lack of color in this map. It gives it an experimental feel, but very realistic. Keep it up

Thanks everyone!

@Abu Lafia: What exactly do you mean with 'curved' and 'straight'? Do you mean 'Italic' and 'Regular'? If so then I agree with you and I have changed it so that the rivers are italic and the city names are regular (:

@Otviss: Yes, the lack of color is intentional, glad you like it! I always find map with a subtle and modest use of color very pretty and it makes the colored elements really stand out in my opinion.

-Dan

Hey Dan, i didn't mean "italic" and "regular", but i think it's a good idea to make them distintive in this way. What i meant was that there are some city names which are in a horizontal "straight" line and some are curved and/or diagonal (e.g. "Garthrand", "Nongleth", "Ricken", "Lemothir", "Wartherling").
    As with the distinction between italic and regular, i think to make all the city-labels horizontal would make the map/ the labels overall more readable. In some cases i think you were going to make them so, to avoid an overlapping with the county names ("Nongleth") or the coastline ("Wartherling"). If you position them a bit different, it should work to make them horizontal and not overlap them with other labels. A great overview (Ravs even calls it a "must read" ) on this topic is Eduard Imhof's "Positioning Names on Maps" in case you don't know it yet. Its absolutely worth to have a look at this.
    Keep up the great work!
    Cheers,
    AL

Wow great idea ! Really liked the unique approach to mapping, perfect to combine with a classic map to add realistic feel to it!
    Great work !

Another update. the only thing I basically did was make the city labels horizontal.

Some minor things to change and then I'm going to call this finished!

As always, feel free to give input and critique!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atyani Vassalage WIP (12).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	75773

-Dan

My only dislike, which I carry for a little while but haven't mentioned before it that the coast seems blurred, when unzoomed. But I can't really offer any advice about that, so do with this criticism whatever you like.

The one thing I notice right away, is if I do the "squint test" (squint so that your eyes go blurry)... the shade of the regions are the same shade as the water... which makes me think it is under water. I know it is not, but it has that feel. Would be interested to see it go to a tan shade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12