7 41.18%
  • Do a 3D Map, by Francissimo

10 58.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** August 2015 VOTING: Create a Tutorial ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** August 2015 VOTING: Create a Tutorial ***

Well, I guess this was a good test run for possibly doing this again at some point in the future; what do you guys think?

Here's the thumbs, but due to the special nature of this month's challenge, I'd urge you voters to read through the individual threads:

Challenge Thumbs

I'll shorten the voting to three ( 3 ) days on this on the advice of several folks. Voting will end at around this same time on Friday night, and then we'll get a start on next month's challenge first thing Saturday morning (or as soon as I wake up.)

Amazing stuff, all of them.
    Pixie's... such a great idea of creating a landscape, and such a great explanation of the process... and such great results. (But I expected no less of her.)
    Deadshade's... a little low on the nitty-gritty details of how, but a huge amount of detailed informations on the what and why. Definitly a tut to keep.
    Bogie's... short and sweet, exactly on the point. Not something I will use often... but definitly a technique that I wouldn't even have imagined.
    Francissimo's... a wonderful introduction to a powerful tool. Something to play with, on cold, dark nights.

It is impossible for me to chose one of these over another. Cudos to all who took the time to create something that we all can actively share.

I realized that it takes a lot more effort to organize a workflow, explain it all and write it down in a comprehensive form than it took to create the map based on it.
    Sadly I could not finish my contribution in time... but it WILL be posted.

Great job everyone!

FYI: Pixie and Deadshade are not in the Thumbnails because they posted text not pictures. Make sure you go to their post to see their tutorial before you vote!

Blog Entries

I cast my vote for Deadshade and Bogie this go 'round.

Deadshade's tutorial was quite well organized and I loved all of the references to LOTR.
    As for Bogie's tutorial, it was neat, to the point, and I had always wondered how he was making so many objects. Plus there was some humor!

While I probably won't be able to make use of these tutorials, as I don't have the programs nor am I an artist like many of you are*, I think everyone put in great effort this month! So great job.

*Don't worry, I consider myself to be an admirer, and not necessarily a creator. : )
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Very close this month, and I'm not surprised because all the tutorials were very good.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Wow, that IS REALLY close.

I'll refrain from voting as I am one of the contestants, but good luck to us 4 !

Congratulations to Pixie and Francissimo!! Well done both of you!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Indeed, nicely done! Congrats to all of you guys - this one was NOT easy.

Pixie and Francissimo, your awards are in the mail, and stay tuned tomorrow morning for the next round.

Thanks a lot to those who vote and rep my entry, i'm proud of this shiny compass
    Congrats to the other players of the challenge, all entries were interesting and i think we should post those in the tutorial part of the forum.

Wow, my first compass! Many thanks to all who voted - specially to those who voted for this tutorial.

Congrats, Francissimo.
    And by the way... since you're the QGIS expert, one question: do you think it's possible/feasible to make a collage of satellite pictures, on top of a collage of DEMs and fake some coordinates so that they could be loaded onto QGIS and made into 3D?
    Last edited by Pixie; 09-05-2015 at 06:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast