Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

I just finished skimming this thread Charerg and must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the work you've done on this project. I've wanted to do a world-building project such as this for some time, but have always been a bit intimidated by all that such a project entails. As time allows I'll be coming back to this thread, as well as browsing the resources you've linked to. Thanks a bunch for the inspiration.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Good to hear that you found it useful! I think you should definitely post an update about the tectonics, if only to get some feedback, since that can always be useful. And yeah, tectonics can take a really long time if you go deep into the details.
    Just posted something, following this advice.
    Again, thanks for the tutorial and push.

Guild Expert

Thanks for posting some insight on you’re process for doing the elevation this is really useful I think I’ll give that a try. I think this project is just amazing I can only dream of ever creating something like this.

Charerg, first of all let me say that you are seriously an inspiration. You and Pixie's maps are exactly the kind of thing I want to create for my world. However, like I've seen you mention a bit, I too have a terrible case of perfectionism, I need detail and accuracy. Could I ask how you initially got the shape for your map, and where you got all your information on plate tectonics? I've been searching but most of what I've found has been relatively simple, beginner stuff.

For example in one of your most recent updates you had a map of fold belts and small rifts and all sorts of that kind of stuff. Do you have any good recommendations for someone wanting to learn that level of complexity and detail?

Quote Originally Posted by shadixdarkkon View Post
    Charerg, first of all let me say that you are seriously an inspiration. You and Pixie's maps are exactly the kind of thing I want to create for my world. However, like I've seen you mention a bit, I too have a terrible case of perfectionism, I need detail and accuracy. Could I ask how you initially got the shape for your map, and where you got all your information on plate tectonics? I've been searching but most of what I've found has been relatively simple, beginner stuff.

For example in one of your most recent updates you had a map of fold belts and small rifts and all sorts of that kind of stuff. Do you have any good recommendations for someone wanting to learn that level of complexity and detail?
    Well, the initial map (the one on page 1) was essentially simply drawn painstakingly (with a mouse, no less) over the course of several weeks and several revisions. Although since then the coastlines have changed quite a few times (and will change again in the future). I don't know if there are too many shortcuts when it comes to drawing the coastlines (aside from generating random clouds, I guess). If you're using PhotoShop, you could try the techniques in this tutorial. I suppose the main advice is to first draw the general shapes roughly and only work out the detailed coastlines later on.

A good starting point is always drawing things out on paper. Of course, the more you plan ahead while sketching your world, the more satisfied you're likely to be with the final result. So try to put some thought into climate and tectonics even when sketching the initial landscape (though I realise this advice can be quite hard to follow unless you're already well versed with those subjects), particularly if you have some pre-conceived ideas of how you want the climate and/or terrain to turn out in some specific regions.

You could also try sketching things out with GPlates in 3D. It's pretty slow since you have to draw everything point-by-point but it can still be potentially useful, especially for the polar areas.

Here are a few examples from an unfinished test project I did recently to try this out (it's basically a world initially sketched on paper and then in GPlates):

Equirectangular:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Equirectangular.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	105036

Polar view:

Name:	Polar.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	105037

As for the tectonics and geology, there are several resources. Wikipedia covers a lot of topics (and often has links to academic papers). There's also academia.edu, where you can sign up with a google account and search for academic papers. Christopher Scotese's Atlas of Plate Tectonic Reconstructions is very useful and contains the "12 rules of plate tectonics". I'd also recommend checking Scotese's youtube channel, as well as EarthByte, those have a lot of plate tectonic reconstructions.

It's also a good idea to just create something and post it here for feedback, if only to get some practice. Ultimately creating even semi-accurate tectonics for a fictional world is not an easy task and it does take some practice. If you check out my initial tectonics maps in the opening pages of this thread, you'll note that my initial maps weren't very good.

Well, the initial map (the one on page 1) was essentially simply drawn painstakingly (with a mouse, no less) over the course of several weeks and several revisions. Although since then the coastlines have changed quite a few times (and will change again in the future). I don't know if there are too many shortcuts when it comes to drawing the coastlines (aside from generating random clouds, I guess). If you're using PhotoShop, you could try the techniques in this tutorial. I suppose the main advice is to first draw the general shapes roughly and only work out the detailed coastlines later on.

A good starting point is always drawing things out on paper. Of course, the more you plan ahead while sketching your world, the more satisfied you're likely to be with the final result. So try to put some thought into climate and tectonics even when sketching the initial landscape (though I realise this advice can be quite hard to follow unless you're already well versed with those subjects), particularly if you have some pre-conceived ideas of how you want the climate and/or terrain to turn out in some specific regions.

You could also try sketching things out with GPlates in 3D. It's pretty slow since you have to draw everything point-by-point but it can still be potentially useful, especially for the polar areas.

Here are a few examples from an unfinished test project I did recently to try this out (it's basically a world initially sketched on paper and then in GPlates):

Equirectangular:

Name:	Equirectangular.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	105036

Polar view:

Name:	Polar.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	105037

As for the tectonics and geology, there are several resources. Wikipedia covers a lot of topics (and often has links to academic papers). There's also academia.edu, where you can sign up with a google account and search for academic papers. Christopher Scotese's Atlas of Plate Tectonic Reconstructions is very useful and contains the "12 rules of plate tectonics". I'd also recommend checking Scotese's youtube channel, as well as EarthByte, those have a lot of plate tectonic reconstructions.

It's also a good idea to just create something and post it here for feedback, if only to get some practice. Ultimately creating even semi-accurate tectonics for a fictional world is not an easy task and it does take some practice. If you check out my initial tectonics maps in the opening pages of this thread, you'll note that my initial maps weren't very good.
    My problem (admittedly more mental than anything else) is that I can't even get good starting shapes that I feel good about to start refining. I feel like everything I try to draw feels wrong. I'm not sure how to even get something to start with.

My problem (admittedly more mental than anything else) is that I can't even get good starting shapes that I feel good about to start refining. I feel like everything I try to draw feels wrong. I'm not sure how to even get something to start with.
    Just draw out a continent or two on paper and once you're happy, translate them into a digital format, adjusting as necessary. It's probably helpful to narrow down the task at hand: concentrate on one continent at a time, and don't try to get overly detailed to begin with, that really isn't necessary for a first sketch. You're probably overly exaggerating that some shape "feels wrong" if that's how you feel, or maybe you didn't sketch things enough on paper beforehand to have a clear vision about how you want the shape to turn out. Things rarely work out for me either if I just sit down to "draw something" before first creating a paper draft about what the shape/layout should look like.

Basically, I think you need to be more patient with yourself and get rid of the perception that anything you draw is "automatically wrong", and probably draw a lot more quick sketches before settling on the final shape. Remember that your first creations don't have to look perfect: drawing maps is something that you get gradually better at and develop an "eye for shapes", but you need to keep doing it in order to develop those skills .

Btw, if you haven't done so yet, I'd recommend checking out Tiluchi's Pangarap (and his earlier Ayesha): that should give some ideas about how to get started with a project like this.

Edit:
    As a bit of a motivating picture/extremely minor update here's the rather ugly "current state" of my Central Eocidar elevation map: as you can see it doesn't look very good yet (since I've been too lazy to sink a lot of hours into the map so far). Just as a reminder that these things start from humble beginnings: every map looks ugly to begin with.

Name:	700px Sample.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	105306
    Last edited by Charerg; 03-08-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Just draw out a continent or two on paper and once you're happy, translate them into a digital format, adjusting as necessary. It's probably helpful to narrow down the task at hand: concentrate on one continent at a time, and don't try to get overly detailed to begin with, that really isn't necessary for a first sketch. You're probably overly exaggerating that some shape "feels wrong" if that's how you feel, or maybe you didn't sketch things enough on paper beforehand to have a clear vision about how you want the shape to turn out. Things rarely work out for me either if I just sit down to "draw something" before first creating a paper draft about what the shape/layout should look like.

Basically, I think you need to be more patient with yourself and get rid of the perception that anything you draw is "automatically wrong", and probably draw a lot more quick sketches before settling on the final shape. Remember that your first creations don't have to look perfect: drawing maps is something that you get gradually better at and develop an "eye for shapes", but you need to keep doing it in order to develop those skills .

Btw, if you haven't done so yet, I'd recommend checking out Tiluchi's Pangarap (and his earlier Ayesha): that should give some ideas about how to get started with a project like this.
    So another question then (plus I need more posts before I can start my own thread D: ).
    How viable would it be to start with a supercontinent and then use GPlates to break it up? Instead of sort of working backwards?

So another question then (plus I need more posts before I can start my own thread D: ).
    How viable would it be to start with a supercontinent and then use GPlates to break it up? Instead of sort of working backwards?
    There actually was one con-world around that attempted just that (here's the thread). As to how viable it is, it depends a lot on what you're aiming for. There's nothing wrong with that approach, but it gives you somewhat less control over what the present day landscape of the world looks like. I haven't attempted that method myself, but I do think it demands a reasonably good understanding of plate tectonics (and in that sense is probably a more difficult starting point for a beginner). Could still be useful especially as a relatively quick learning project, but I'm not sure if it's too viable for the sort of multi-year "endless WIP" projects mysefl and Pixie are doing .
    Last edited by Charerg; 03-09-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typos

Yeah, I'm with Charerg on this one. Starting from pangaea will avoid a bunch of problems, but you still need to know your tectonics for it. Specially, you need to understand what drives the movement of plates. But go ahead - we're here for you!

Now, if you want to start your thread and still need a 5 posts count, why not look around and write some praise in the finished maps section. Take a little bit of time, find some maps that are catchy to you and just tell their makers what is it that you like about them, or ask about how they made them. Basically, engage.

Once you start your WIP thread, I promise I'll drop by for a hint or two (and I'm sure I'll get to it after Charerg)

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast