Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I experimented a bit with Pasta's script for reprojecting, here are the results:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samples.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	137382

Sample 1:
    Workflow:
    - Straight up reprojection, either with Projectionpasta or GProjector

Result:
    -Basically no difference between the methods, noticeable choppy "stretch marks"

Sample 2:
    Workflow:
    - Scale resolution up x2, reproject with Projectionpasta, then scale back to original res

Result:
    - Eliminates the "stretch marks", though also creates some extra blurring (especially noticable along the coastline)

Overall, I think I much prefer the blurriness over those annoying stretch marks (that are extremely hard to get rid of, I might add). The coastline is easy enough to restore and I do that anyway when reprojecting.

@worldbuilding pasta:
    Personally I found Projectionpasta quite quick, even with x2 res (11600x5800). Huge thanks for creating such a useful script, breaking free from GProjector's resolution constraints is a big step up for me.

I have added some interpolation methods to help avoid some of the weird stretching you get with reprojection, but they're only available in the python version because they rely on some large scipy packages that would be tricky to fold into the .exe version, and they also work a lot better with original heightmaps rather than full color images. With the upscaling-downscaling approach, the results may depend a lot on the interpolation your image program uses--a lot default to bicubic, but that can sometimes create issues on sharp boundaries.

Overall, I'd say in any scenario where gprojector meets your needs, you should stick with it (also check out some of kunimune's tools https://github.com/jkunimune/Map-Projections), I built projectionpasta to cover various edge cases: very high resolution, 16-bit heightmaps, and direct projection between 2 oblique aspects or from unusual input projections

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    You use wilbur on the whole map or by pieces? If and when I do on while map it takes ages to process. if I go upper than my usual standard size it crashes.
    my specs are 1080 ti and 32 gb ram .
    I was talking about projectionpasta, not wilbur.

I promised the big ice sheet, so here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr VI.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	1,022.5 KB 
ID:	137391

I chose to use a separate colour gradient for the glaciated areas (also with somewhat less intervals than the regular scale), let me know how that worked out.

I originally had grand plans to make maps of ice flow rates (like this one on wikipedia) and everything, but I might postpone those since I'm a bit impatient to get to work on the next continent . In terms of comparisons between Earthly Ice Sheets, it's a bit of a mix between the Antarctic and Greenland. In the sense that the Antarctic Ice Sheet reaches the ocean in most areas, and the dynamics are dominated by ice shelves (parts of the glacier extending over the ocean), whereas the Greenland Ice Sheet is largely constrained inland and flows into the ocean through ice streams.

The Urgaleonic ice sheet has two major ice shelves (which I should probably name at some point), but also does not reach the ocean in many regions. Judging by ice flows over the Antarctic, the fastest flows should be those feeding the ice shelves. As a sidenote related to future climate-building, I think the continent layout would result in a pretty substantial temperature difference between the western and eastern hemisphere. Unlike on Earth, where the Antarctic is largely isolated by circumpolar currents, here all that glacial meltwater flows into the "North Nemeian Sea". This would make for a pretty big contrast, especially affecting the continent of Nemeias.
    Last edited by Charerg; 04-08-2024 at 08:22 AM.

As always this looks amazing Charerg. I like the colors on the ice sheets, they read very well. I can't wait to see the completed map!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617