Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

This looks so good, Charerg! And, given your growing knowledge of tectonics, I would love to see that annotated map with the tectonic features/history.
    Also, thanks for the color scheme with a matching map for Earth. I had only a poor one to compare my Maward master map (which I used in my thread some time ago), but this one that you found is much better and we can also make cross comparisons now between our worlds (which sounds great to me).

Lastly, when you look at your whole-world-map you probably feel a mix of pain and enthusiasm about what's still missing. You might even think about quitting some times, and in different moments, daydream about quitting your day job and commiting full time. I know the roller coaster... Just wanted to let you know you're going on the right track.... and, this being the weirdest hobby, nobody's pushing for completion, just enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Right, so I've finally gotten at least a piece of Eocidar into a more-or-less finished state. I should probably mention that I've basically overhauled most of the elevation map from what I had back in February when I made that ill-advised statement that "it will done soon".

I might post something about the geologic features underlying the sub-continent at a later point, but since I'm feeling a bit lazy that will have to wait. However, here's the elevation map for the sub-continent of Akanrias, the southernmost of the three pieces that make up the continent as a whole. I should note that the bathymetry is pretty rough at this point, since the focus is on the topography, and there will probably be some changes to some of the continents and the associated tectonic features (exact location of the ridges and what-not). I've shelved that update for a later date though, for the moment I'm just focusing on this particular continent. So, here's the map:

Attachment 96857

Within the global map, here's the location and size of the area depicted here:

Attachment 96858

And finally, for purposes of comparison, a map of the Earth using the same elevation scheme and intervals (this is generated from the ETOPO1 global relief model, using the "ice surface" version, note that the glaciers are not coloured separately, but are instead regarded as part of the surface):

Attachment 96859

The colour scheme is still a bit WIP, though I'm pretty happy with the lower elevation levels. However, I'm not sure if the dark brown->white transition with the higher levels is all that good right now. So, any feedback on the colour scheme is appreciated.

Anyway, that's it for this update. Any comments/suggestions are welcome as usual, and I'll try to post the relevant geology and tectonics regarding Akanrias at a later date.
    The world map is purely perfect and great, I can't really find anything wrong and the mountain positioning and shapes are also very good, my only nitpick, is that the coastlines seem to have a too similar fragmentation , I would eventually differentiate them according to the plaques side movement directions with areas more broken and areas less and more smooth. I am not an expert on tectonics though and I think it looks already perfect.

Default Akanrian Geology

Right, so about those geologic features:

Generally speaking, present-day Akanrias is a tectonically sleeping land, the only active boundaries it has are located in the westernmost margins of the subcontinent. As such most of Akanrias is fairly low in terms of elevation, and lacks any truly high mountain ranges. The single most important event responsible for the present-day geography is the dissolution of the ancient supercontinent of Panwara, so it is worth looking at the process in a bit more detail:

Akanrias 200 Mya, just before the breakup of Panwara:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akanrias 200 Mya.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	97613

Akanrias 175 Mya:

Name:	Akanrias 175 Mya.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	97614

Akanrias 150 Mya:

Name:	Akanrias 150 Mya.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	97615

Speaking from a world-building perspective, Akanrias has always been a fairly difficult region. Those who have followed the thread for a while may remember how it played a key part in my rework of the tectonic layout back in February when I made that big post regarding tectonics. What I eventually ended up doing for this final version, is a mix of the prior two tectonic models to some degree. So, we have the Great Akanrian Trough opening between Akanrias and mainland Eocidar via a hinge-type rotation. In the northern end of the trough, I ended up with a large system of fault blocks, similar to the Basin and Range Province (although older and more heavily eroded).

Another major geologic feature from this period is the East Akanrian Shear Zone (EASZ), a major transform fault that occurred when the Tamanaro Craton slided eastwards along with Anapar during the breakup process.

As a sidenote, I think may adjust the shape of the subcontinent a bit further. It looks good on an equirectangular projection, but looking at these orthogonal pics, the "stomach" of the continent is too strongly curved, resulting in an overly artificial-looking shape. Oh, and I plan to rework Anapar and Nomune when I eventually get to those continents. As can be seen here, the shape of Anapar obviously needs to be adjusted to fit the updated tectonics.

Btw, I figured out that it's actually possible to automatically locate mid-oceanic ridges using the "flowlines" feature of GPlates (you can see this from the pics, where I've tracked the creation of new crust between Anapar and Eocidar). Similarly, it's possible to directly create hotspot tracks using the "motion paths" feature, as can be seen here with present-day Eocidar:

Hotspot Trail:

Name:	Hotspot Trail.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	97610

I'll have to adjust my bathymetry accordingly, since I seem to have the trail a bit off. These features will definitely make it a lot easier to both generate hotspot trails and locate those mid-oceanic ridges, especially if I make some further adjustments to the movement of the continents. Makes me think that maybe I should've read those GPlates tutorials beforehand, I could have saved myself quite a bit of work .

Okay, back on topic:

Geologic features:

Name:	Geo.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	97611

So, the above map covers the major geologic features. Originally I planned to include information of the age of the various fold belts and igneous provinces in the map itself, but it ended up being too messy and hard to read (the above map is probably messy enough already ). Here's a rough timeline regarding the ages of the various features:

Ancient Eon (NA-750 Mya):

- 1200-1000 Mya: the Central Akanrian Fold Belts are formed with the collision of West and East Akanrian blocks, creating the core of the subcontinent. Presumably Nomune is likewise accredited into the palaeo-continent as part of the process.
    - ca. 900-800 Mya: the East Akanrian Belt is created as the Tamanaro-Anapar block (including the East Eocidarian Craton) collides with Akanrias-Nomune. The resulting continent is called "East Panwara" as it will eventually form the eastern portion of the supercontinent.

Old Eon (750-250 Mya):

- ca. 600-500 Mya: the Western Pan-Eocidarian Belt is formed as the L'kyano Craton collides with West Panwara.
    - ca. 500-400 Mya: the Eastern Pan-Eocidarian Belt and the L'kyano Arcs form as East and West Panwara collide, forming the supercontinent (the South Eocidarian block is a smaller piece that was squeezed between the two main blocks).
    - ca. 300 Mya: the island of K'yatahi is formed. The Northern K'yatahi block detaches from Akanrias (similar to Borneo detaching from Vietnam in most tectonic reconstructions, this one for example), colliding with the Southern K'yatahi block.

Middle Eon (250-100 Mya):

- 200-150 Mya: the breakup of Panwara. The Great Akanrian Trough opens, along with the creation of the East Eocidarian Fault Block complex. The Tamanaro block splits, with the northernmost part undergoing an eastward motion along the EASZ, generating a mountain range in eastern Akanrias. Numerous LIPs (Large Igneous Provinces) form along the margins of Akanrias and Eocidar as a result of volcanic activity associated with the breakup of the supercontinent.

Young Eon (100 Mya-Present):

- 50-30 Mya: the C'thuana block collides and is accredited to Eocidar, creating a major fold belt in SW Eocidar, and forming a part of the long island of T'kalo.
    - 30 Mya-Present: the Trans-Eocidarian Rift begins to open, and intra-continental volcanic activity is initiated in the the L'kyano Metacraton (partly destabilizing the craton, hence the label "metacraton"), eventually forming the M'alabar LIP. This is a comparable formation to the Tibesti Mountains in Africa.
    - 20 Mya-Present: the T'kalo block collides with Eocidar, forming a large portion of the island of T'kalo. A very young and immature collision, only at it's beginning phase.

Well, that ended up as a big wall of text. Kudos to anyone who has the patience/interest to read through all that. Hopefully my rambling was at least somewhat coherent. As usual, feedback and questions are appreciated, and I hope you found this interesting!
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-16-2017 at 04:50 PM.

I am by no means an expert (in fact most of my tectonics knowledge comes from this board), but I really enjoy reading about the geological history of your world. The level of detail and thought put into it is incredible! I also like how you compare parts to real world regions and tectonic processes, it makes it easier to envision for people who may not have such a detailed knowledge.

Thank you so much for that last post, Charerg. I loved it. It's inspiring to know I'm not the only one who is up to this level of detail. I loved reading your rambling and that simple map of geological provinces is a winner, I keep a huge number of notes like that too.

I wish I had your skills using G.plates, but I haven't invested enough time yet to figure it out.

Super well done!

Hey Charerg!

Wanted to pop by and say Hi and, getting to the point, ask for your opinion.

I've started a thread over in the world regional/world mapping section called Aerlaan. From reading your thread you are clearly the person to go to for tectonics. I have roughed out what i think is a working system for my world but would appreciate your input and opinion. I'm keen to get on to the next foundation (wind and water) but know that the tectonics come first. If they are wrong then all is wrong.

I would link to my thread but haven't figured out how to yet, sorry

Anyway, if you can find the time it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PaGaN

EDIT: figured out the linking thing (I thnk), My thread, Aerlaan, is here
    Last edited by PaGaN; 10-01-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Hi there! (And sorry for bad english...)
    I just wanted to say that i have been watching your thread for quite some time (even before I was a member of this forum) and I find it very inspiring And I have to say that I just love the amount of detail and thought you put into this world (Also I think I am a bit jeaous about your tectonics model. I wish I can do something comparable!)
    I will be patiently waiting for an update

Nadir

Quote Originally Posted by NadirtheFox View Post
    Hi there! (And sorry for bad english...)
    I just wanted to say that i have been watching your thread for quite some time (even before I was a member of this forum) and I find it very inspiring And I have to say that I just love the amount of detail and thought you put into this world (Also I think I am a bit jeaous about your tectonics model. I wish I can do something comparable!)
    I will be patiently waiting for an update

Nadir
    Good to hear that someone besides myself finds this interesting!

I took a bit of a hiatus from mapping after finishing up Akanrias (although I'm slowly getting back to the map), so it's going to be a while until the next update, since there's a lot more stuff to cover in Central Eocidar. Also, the region in general is in a more unfinished state than what Akanrias was when I switched to the present 22-level topography. I'd give an estimate, but since my estimates tend to be horribly off, I think I'll refrain from doing so .
    Last edited by Charerg; 10-10-2017 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Good to hear that someone besides myself finds this interesting!
    I hope that's just modesty... you have more than one fan around here... I am another one.

On another topic - 22-levels of topography is a lot. I had 23 at a point and found out that it is too much. You will make your mountainous areas "too fat" with that many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I hope that's just modesty... you have more than one fan around here... I am another one.

On another topic - 22-levels of topography is a lot. I had 23 at a point and found out that it is too much. You will make your mountainous areas "too fat" with that many levels.
    Oh, I know there's a small community of tectonics weirdos (as I think you put it once) around here, but it's always nice to see some newcomers .

And you're right, 22 is a lot of levels. What I'm kind of planning is skimping a little on the detail (I think I have a tendency to go for too pixel-perfect in any case), but having more layers, which should make the overall look fairly good. Although some of those high elevation levels are probably going to be fairly marginal.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast