Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Thanks for the kind words, Shadix and MrBragg! I am indeed still working on this, though I must admit that I only picked up last week where I left off last summer (so progress has been slow). That said, given that most of the polar landmasses will be glaciated, finishing this part shouldn't take too long (fingers crossed).

Here's something of a WIP-map with the glaciers thrown in:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urgaleon_glaciated.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	136870

Still tinkering a bit with the "Glacier gradient", but the basic idea is to use a similar elevation gradient as usual but with different colours to represent the extent of glaciation. Though in this map the thickness of the ice isn't there yet, still working on the underlying topography (I'll probably skimp on the detail a lot though, when it comes to the glaciated areas).

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, Shadix and MrBragg! I am indeed still working on this, though I must admit that I only picked up last week where I left off last summer (so progress has been slow). That said, given that most of the polar landmasses will be glaciated, finishing this part shouldn't take too long (fingers crossed).

Here's something of a WIP-map with the glaciers thrown in:

Name:	Urgaleon_glaciated.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	136870

Still tinkering a bit with the "Glacier gradient", but the basic idea is to use a similar elevation gradient as usual but with different colours to represent the extent of glaciation. Though in this map the thickness of the ice isn't there yet, still working on the underlying topography (I'll probably skimp on the detail a lot though, when it comes to the glaciated areas).

This looks great Charerg, I really like the style of the glacier, my own glaciers took me forever to figure out because I did multiple time periods. Incidentally, do you have anything like that planned for Aduhr? I'm imagining Beringia-like corridors opening up along that lower left-hand mountain range on the edge of the glacier. Also, I'm imagining that if a race of people had good boats they could sail the edge of the glacier maybe?
    (don't feel bad, I skimped on a lot of detail with Koreth, but I've been regretting it and have even debated going back and doing the terrain without glaciers)

In the end, I decided to first complete the deglaciated topography, and only then add the glaciers. Without further ado, here are the maps:

Elevations:

Name:	Urgaleon I.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	137374

Gradual (with bump map):

Name:	Urgaleon II.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	137375

This time around, I changed my Wilbur process a bit. Namely I upscaled the final map into 2x resolution for processing through Wilbur, then downscaled back afterwards. Overall, this does seem to take care of Precipiton Erosion induced-artifacts, eliminating the need to do manual blurring afterwards. Wilbur has some built-in features for that purpose as well (Dilate & Erode), which I've been reluctant to utilise due to the relatively low res of these maps, but perhaps with 2x resolution those might work out as well. Will have to experiment with that a bit.

@shadixdarkkon:
    Aduhr has indeed had some ice ages in the recent past. Though the "northern corridor" is relatively easy to cross even with present-day sea level (at least for humans).

Next up, it's finally time to drop that big glacier on top (which I'm hoping will be a relatively quick procedure)!

In the end, I decided to first complete the deglaciated topography, and only then add the glaciers. Without further ado, here are the maps:

Elevations:

Name:	Urgaleon I.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	137374

Gradual (with bump map):

Name:	Urgaleon II.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	137375

This time around, I changed my Wilbur process a bit. Namely I upscaled the final map into 2x resolution for processing through Wilbur, then downscaled back afterwards. Overall, this does seem to take care of Precipiton Erosion induced-artifacts, eliminating the need to do manual blurring afterwards. Wilbur has some built-in features for that purpose as well (Dilate & Erode), which I've been reluctant to utilise due to the relatively low res of these maps, but perhaps with 2x resolution those might work out as well. Will have to experiment with that a bit.

@shadixdarkkon:
    Aduhr has indeed had some ice ages in the recent past. Though the "northern corridor" is relatively easy to cross even with present-day sea level (at least for humans).

Next up, it's finally time to drop that big glacier on top (which I'm hoping will be a relatively quick procedure)!
    Wilbur has also in erosion blurring/smoothing, what res are yo working on?

The resolution of the world map is 5800x2900. In the case of Urgaleon, it is the same as in the regional map I posted (1120x1010). I've been a bit reluctant to use Wilbur's Dilate+Erode for fear of losing details, but maybe if I do the Wilbur-processing at 2x resolution it becomes less of a problem.

Btw, here is how the world map looks like now (with the deglaciated topography):

Name:	Aduhr VI.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.00 MB 
ID:	137379

What is a bit of an issue are the "stretch marks" resulting from re-projecting the polar-centric equirectangular back to regular equirectangular via GProjector. While browsing through Worldbuilding Pasta's blog a while back, I noticed he had an alternate method of reprojecting maps, using a Python-script as I recall. I think the main benefit was the lack of GProjector's resolution limits, anyone tried out if it also produces less distortion?
    Last edited by Charerg; 04-05-2024 at 07:53 AM.

The resolution of the world map is 5800x2900. In the case of Urgaleon, it is the same as in the regional map I posted (1120x1010). I've been a bit reluctant to use Wilbur's Dilate+Erode for fear of losing details, but maybe if I do the Wilbur-processing at 2x resolution it becomes less of a problem.

Btw, here is how the world map looks like now (with the deglaciated topography):

Name:	Aduhr VI.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.00 MB 
ID:	137379

What is a bit of an issue are the "stretch marks" resulting from re-projecting the polar-centric equirectangular back to regular equirectangular via GProjector. While browsing through Worldbuilding Pasta's blog a while back, I noticed he had an alternate method of reprojecting maps, using a Python-script as I recall. I think the main benefit was the lack of GProjector's resolution limits, anyone tried out if it also produces less distortion?
    This is way larger than my usual worldmaps as I cannot work with larger than 21 k maps , they crash wilbur and other tools I have may be because I would need a more powerfull pc?
    Anyway one I found the resolution I used perfectly fine, but if you want you could select single continents , enlarge , work on them and higher res anth then rescale back.

For reprojecting I've used Nikolai's scripts and they seem to work ok, just really really slowly. My preferred software is MMPS which is much faster and also doesn't seem to have a resolution limit, but only works in a Linux / Cygwin environment.

Oh, and this all looks great!! Looking forward to seeing a big glacier get plopped down

It looks great indeed!

I did some optimization last october which sped it up a lot, though it's probably still not as fast as it could be. In resolution it's limited only by what your RAM will handle (and technically a 1 trillion pixel limit that can be increased with a single line edit if anyone ever hit that)

Quote Originally Posted by worldbuilding pasta View Post
    I did some optimization last october which sped it up a lot, though it's probably still not as fast as it could be. In resolution it's limited only by what your RAM will handle (and technically a 1 trillion pixel limit that can be increased with a single line edit if anyone ever hit that)
    You use wilbur on the whole map or by pieces? If and when I do on while map it takes ages to process. if I go upper than my usual standard size it crashes.
    my specs are 1080 ti and 32 gb ram .

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast