Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another update:

I finished the "very rough" model of the supercontinent cycle. This and this are the tutorials I used, in case someone is interested.

So, here is the world "150 Million years ago". Note that the timeline isn't that important in this case, this is just a rough approximation. Btw, these images don't include plate names, see my previous post for those.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_150.00Ma.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	76413

Some comments:
    - I ended up putting Akanrias (formerly the Xeteyarian plate) in the "equatorial supercontinent" as I felt it worked better there.
    - There is some overlap between the continents, as the plates are drawn very roughly, and this model doesn't take deformation of the continents (such as the failed rift between Dealos and Eocidar mentioned in my previous post) into account.

100 MYA:

Name:	image_100.00Ma.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	76414

50 MYA:

Name:	image_50.00Ma.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	76415

(See my previous post for "0 MYA")

@Pixie:
    Watching through the animated sequence, it becomes clear that (as you suggested) the southern portion of the Valkathain (the inner Ocean) was indeed created at different rates, and that consequently the Nimro-Druegian plate should be split into a Nimrasian plate and a Druegian plate.

As to the seafloor between Akanrias (former Xeteyarian plate) and Nomune, I imagine it as comparable to the Paratethys (of which the Mediterranean and the Black Sea are remnants), an ancient sea in the process of closing.

@Durakken:
    Yes, the Agalhaic ridge is indeed intended to have formed as a result of the stresses applied by the surrounding plates. And you're probably right that the eastern portion should be made smaller and split into a few microplates (similar to Nazca, Cocos and Juan de Fuca on Earth). That is, however, a relatively minor detail, and I can fine-tune that plate once I get the "larger picture" right.

EDIT:
    @ Pixie: Taking a closer look at the "age of oceanic lithosphere" map, I noticed that there is a weird "triangle" of ancient seafloor in the western Pacific. I don't get why that patch is older than the surrounding seafloor. Any idea why?

2nd EDIT:

I implemented the split of Nimro-Druegia into two pieces. I think the "supercontinent" looks much more plausible now:

Name:	image_150.00Ma.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	76422
    Last edited by Charerg; 09-30-2015 at 08:05 AM.