Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Harrg View Post
    It is impressive. How will u think work with northen and southen poles?
    The same way I work on basically everything beyond the 30 N/S latitudes: reproject the area to equirectangular oblique centered on the region I'm working on, then project back to equirectangular once finished. I've found that this method removes most of the projection-induced inaccuracies, while it's easy to project the eq. oblique back to regular equirectangular. For example, here's Menorias projected to eq. oblique (centered on -90 E° and 35 N°), and clipped from the world map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	480.2 KB 
ID:	124395

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    Wow, those are some big changes! Did you have to majorly revise your tectonic model to accommodate all that?

The elevation maps for Eocidar, Menorias, and Akanrias look absolutely fantastic--looking forward to seeing the evolution of the other regions
    I did update the tectonic model a while back, though at that point I already had most of the revisions in mind, so in a sense I didn't have to change the tectonics (since I already built the tectonic model to represent the updated map before redrawing the coastlines). I guess my latest tectonics overview has become quite outdated, and I should probably post an updated one at some point. Though most of the plate movements remain similar, just more refined and with more of the details worked out. I guess the big change is that Anapar, which used to be a continent, has now collided with Nemeias (forming that large horn-shaped peninsula). Instead of Anapar I now have the aforementioned Balarr as a new micro-continent in the SE quadrant of the world map, however Balarr will have a different tectonic origin (and that hasn't really been defined yet). Here's how the tectonic model (so far) looks at 0 Ma (not quite up-to-date when it comes to position of Balarr and the coastline of eastern Nomune):

Name:	0 Ma.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	124396

And as an example of some of the details, here's Nomune at 50 and 20 Ma, respectively. I used to have the minor sea opening between the island of K'yatahi and mainland Akanrias at ca. 300 Ma, but in the updated tectonic model it makes more sense that this is a recent event. The continent of Nomune changes direction from a southern vector to a more southwesterly course at 50 Mya, and as part of this movement, K'yatahi detaches from Akanrias. This is actually something that isn't reflected in the topography yet (since the mountains surrounding the sea would be expected to be taller now that they've been formed much more recently).

Name:	Screen_tectonics.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	124397
    Last edited by Charerg; 08-23-2020 at 06:47 PM.