Thread: Base for a globe

Help Base for a globe

I've been working on a globe and I want to make it official and get a base for it. I've been looking for the curved semicircle kind, something like this one: http://www.geodus.com/globe-map/tres...nce_603058.jpg I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. I'm considering buying a globe and just using the base but that seems like a waste. Does anybody know where to get one separately? If not, any ideas on how to make one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkHz9RFl8E0 is a good example of how commercial globes are made. There have been a number of discussions on this topic over the years, but I'm not sure how well the search is working these days.

The simplest way to get a globe is to buy a used one at a thrift store. I got a few for less than $10 each, including stand. A little sanding and some primer will wipe out the underlying Earth topography and then you can either paste gores onto it (a nuisance to get them just the right size) or plaster/paint/draw the landforms and colors by hand.

I did see completely blank globes for sale once, but they were on the order of $120 each.
    Last edited by waldronate; 10-20-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Banned User

Stego, I just made some bases for spheres for a project I'm working on... if you email me at yodercm@earthlink.net I'll send you a picture and some info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkHz9RFl8E0 is a good example of how commercial globes are made. There have been a number of discussions on this topic over the years, but I'm not sure how well the search is working these days.

The simplest way to get a globe is to buy a used one at a thrift store. I got a few for less than $10 each, including stand. A little sanding and some primer will wipe out the underlying Earth topography and then you can either paste gores onto it (a nuisance to get them just the right size) or plaster/paint/draw the landforms and colors by hand.

I did see completely blank globes for sale once, but they were on the order of $120 each.
    Thanks for the tips! I'm already planning to use the method shown in the video. I'm going to get the hemisphere shapes laser-cut and I've already bought some spherical bowls to use as a press. I'll try to check in later and let you know how it goes! I'm planning to make a few of them and I want the semicircle bases to match, so I think I'll need to buy the bases from a supplier or make them myself.

Stego, I just made some bases for spheres for a project I'm working on... if you email me at yodercm@earthlink.net I'll send you a picture and some info.
    Thanks! I'll get in touch via email