• This sounds good

18 100.00%
  • Do not like this idea

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Versions of same map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Great idea! The challenge you refer to Max was really great. However, if something similar is repeated, please make it so that it's easier for us traditional cartographer to partake. Because I for one would love to be in a challenge like that one

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    What would help you to join such challenge (or what prevent you to join)?

Well, as I understood it at the time you had to continue drawing on the sample map, not draw a whole new version of it in your own style. That renders it slightly difficult for the traditional craft to partake, unless of course one owns a printer that can print out the sample on a good enough paper. However, I for one don't have that.

However, on a second glance, that might have been a misinterpretation by me at the time

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Well indeed the challenge wasn't draw it with your vision of it but "Finish it", so without a printer, it would have been hard to join for a traditional ink map maker. Anyways, I'm pretty sure J. has something else in mind.

It may be a little cheeky of me to suggest this, but I would love to put forth a little bit of my fantasy world for this. Heck, it surely is cheeky, but I would be so proud!

I've got elevation and climates mapped out, as well as rivers and possible/actual settlements (even with names, in some areas). There's areas of historical relevance, areas with interesting geology, areas that are predominantly land and areas where the coast can be the focal point... (did I sell the idea, by now?)

Anyways, food for your thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    It may be a little cheeky of me to suggest this, but I would love to put forth a little bit of my fantasy world for this. Heck, it surely is cheeky, but I would be so proud!

I've got elevation and climates mapped out, as well as rivers and possible/actual settlements (even with names, in some areas). There's areas of historical relevance, areas with interesting geology, areas that are predominantly land and areas where the coast can be the focal point... (did I sell the idea, by now?)

Anyways, food for your thoughts..
    While different from what I was thinking, that would be a pretty cool challenge I think.
    My basic premise was to have a basic map that everyone is starting from. Then each person is trying to map it as they see it - whatever style they would use.
    So 10 contestants, 10 maps - but all based on the same source map. It's a bit like the challenge you linked to Max but not as hard lined.
    And it would allow for tainotim's point as well. No one is actually utilizing the original file in their map as they are making a redo of it in the style of their choosing.

Lots of room there. Could be done in perspective, top down, atlas style, cartoony... just that they are all doing the same area of the same source map.
    I hope that is understandable. Maybe? I would have no problem going with Pixie's work as the source but it needs to be nailed down to one area. If that is coastal, fine. Or mountainous, fine. But everyone would be mapping the same area.

Pixie - some info may not be used as it might be too constricting. It could be used by participants if they wanted it but need not be if they did not want to.
    The key would be the terrain and outlines.

So, does that explain it clear enough?

edit - I had another thought. This challenge could be duplicated for either lite or normal challenge. It's not too complex for lite nor too easy for the normal challenge.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 10-29-2015 at 11:31 PM.

I can think of a number of spots where coastline and altitude info would be great for this challenge, and make for fun mapping. That's what I had in mind when I suggested it. Then I started thinking of all the remaining info I could provide, and I overlooked how that would limit the challenger.. But, yeah, a simple pack of coastline and heightmap is a good starting point for this sort of challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I can think of a number of spots where coastline and altitude info would be great for this challenge, and make for fun mapping. That's what I had in mind when I suggested it. Then I started thinking of all the remaining info I could provide, and I overlooked how that would limit the challenger.. But, yeah, a simple pack of coastline and heightmap is a good starting point for this sort of challenge.
    Hey Pixie, can you post a pic of the area you are speaking of or link to it if it's already here on the guild?
    I think the challenges for nov and dec may already be decided at this point but this still sounds like it is well received enough to be a challenge in the next few months perhaps.
    Oh, the info you were speaking of can still be added in. Some may want to use it in the making of their map. I just didn't want to make it a formal condition of the challenge. That's all.

Sure I can.

This is one of the areas I had in mind. I zoomed in with G.projector to get an equidistant projection and left the 5º graticule for reference. This could be the base map. It's just as easy to share a grayscale version or an equirectangular projection depending on the artists needs.
    I thought about adding a layer of notes (climate, major rivers, nations, etc), but maybe it's best if that is a separate piece of text.

Anyway, this is the sort of stuff I was talking about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Azimuthal_Caran.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	657.5 KB 
ID:	77179

The map covers a wide area and could be cropped differently, but I thought this could cover a variety of landscapes. For scaling purposes, the highest areas reach around 3500 m in altitude and that inner sea is roughly the size of Britain.

edit: I decided to update the old thread on this fictional world (here) so that you "challenge setters" could have a look up and maybe choose other areas for the actual challenge - if you like.
    Last edited by Pixie; 11-03-2015 at 09:11 AM. Reason: adding a link...

Whatever choice would be made (between J. or Pixie's proposal) sounds like a great challenge idea imho

Pixie - I'll go take a look at that pic and the thread and see if any other area jumps out to me.
    We'll have it sorted soon I think.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast