18. You may not vote on this poll
  • This sounds good

18 100.00%
  • Do not like this idea

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Versions of same map

Pixie - I think you picked a good spot.
    As you don't have rivers showing on there, that could add to the challenge. Then we'd get some interesting variety.
    I'll keep you posted on when this would be happening. Thank you Pixie.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    edit - I had another thought. This challenge could be duplicated for either lite or normal challenge. It's not too complex for lite nor too easy for the normal challenge.
    Please don't do this, at least not in the same month. For someone who isn't interested in a particular challenge, having the same one in both places means they have none to participate in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Please don't do this, at least not in the same month. For someone who isn't interested in a particular challenge, having the same one in both places means they have none to participate in.
    No worries Chick. I don't think they would do that.
    Though that is a good point too.

edit - I'll rephrase - we won't do that.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 11-07-2015 at 12:52 PM.

I forgot to add the poll option. Just added that if anyone wants to vote for or against the idea.

I just voted "This sounds good!" (for obvious reasons )

NOTICE - As a question to those who've viewed this - would you prefer it to be a Lite challenge or a Full challenge?

Pixie - I'm not sure when this challenge will happen or in which level - Lite/Full. We've had a lot going on here at the year's end so discussion for it hasn't happened yet but I'm pretty sure it's going to to.
    We'll just have to work out when. Whenever it does, it might be good if you are available in case anyone wants/needs to ask any questions about the land, history, etc.
    I will keep you informed when I know more.

I like mapping - or any worldbuilding - within constraints imposed by others. Makes it more of a challenge. If you want to have both lite and regular, I'd suggest lite first, so as to not give anyone the excuse "oh, I could never do that as well as Max/Diamond/Tainotim/Chick/Sapiento/A2Area/ICouldGoOn..." :-).

I've wondered about ways to reward someone who wants to play along with a lite contest, even after they have excelled their way out of lite eligibility. If several such folk shadow-enter a lite, say they get a poll of a different sort - maybe a blind auction. Winner (voter) if the 'winning' amount is enough gets a professionally printed or printed and framed edition of the map they deem winner - and the Guild keeps the amount over the cost of the printing/framing. Maybe set a threshold of however many such shadow entrants get involved - if four or more play along with any lite challenge, an auction is run for a print, if eight or more, it's a print that's framed. Maybe the 'winning' shadow-entrant gets a print too, if they want one.

Anyway - whatever form this 'many versions' challenge winds up being, I think it'll be fun to watch and fun to enter.

Thank you for commenting JB.
    I like your thoughts on starting with Lite which just kind of feels right to me as well.
    Offering physical items means the money for that has to come from somewhere, which would be tricky.
    I've wanted to find some way to have challenges where anyone could enter - still trying to work through that though.
    Would people want to enter a challenge if there wasn't a prize/medal/badge? Should probably start a different thread for that I guess.

Heh - that's why I thought of an auction - the winning bidder >ahem< voter is providing the money :-). It's a flawed idea, but could start a better one.

The competition, even when I am NO competition :-) , seems to be what draws me in to actually mapping. I have a lot of inertia - have to be shoved to get off a comfortable dead center and moving in a mappish direction. Cooperative work gets me moving too - geofiction/ cooperative worldbuilding is what got me into digital mapping in the first place. Even a lame story line draws my attention... say, if the many-versions / one basemap was a set of prospective designs for terraforming, or for rebuilding after a magical conflict wiped clean the slate... Maybe alternate histories; conjectures a quarter-million years later of what might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Would people want to enter a challenge if there wasn't a prize/medal/badge?
    This is the interesting point for me.

My answer is that, yes, I certainly would. I like the feeling of working on a community project with others at the same time, and any bauble that I may or may not win at the end is secondary. Of course it's nice to win, but it's not my primary incentive for taking part. I might be in the minority with that thought, though. I appreciate jbgibson's thoughts about offering a prize/auction, but do people really need that? Is it really the case that they wouldn't take part simply because there was nothing to win?

As for whether Lite or Regular, well, you exclude a certain about of Guilders with the Lite Challenge, whereas the regular is open to everyone. But if you do opt for Regular, there's a good chance some people simply won't enter as they'll feel outclassed. I don't know what's the answer. I'd kinda love to try this just as an ongoing community project, with no real prize on offer, just the fun of taking part with fellow Guilders, but this might just be me!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast