Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
Good job for your first try Absinth. Gimp can be kind of annoying to try to learn, but you did pretty darn well.
Yes, I haven't toyed with digital graphic stuff before; not even MS Paint...
I learned the basics mostly by trial and error. I'm really wondering why I haven't found this board before, as I googled a lot for tutorials. It would've saved me a lot of time and headaches, but on the other hand I learned a lot about the GIMP, which is a good thing. I stumbled across this board because a user from the Paizo-boards linked it in a discussion about mapping.

Is there anything you would like to try to learn to style wise to make these maps any better? Or will you try some new GIMP techniques on new maps you make? One thing I would highly suggest is to learn how layer masks work asap, as well as when to use them.
Oh yes, I'll try all the techniques that the masters among you use. I read through RobA's brilliant tutorial about creating regional maps and he uses all the functions that I never figured out how to use.
I'll definitly try the use of layer masks. I haven't done much with layers yet. I also would like to learn how to use and create textures. I toyed around with the GIMP textures, but couldn't come up with satisfying results. When you use these for larger areas, you can see the textures patterns and this doesn't look nice. I also want to learn how to use paths!