Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: November/December 2015 Challenge : Promising Loot in Musfat Spaceport

Thank you guys. I'm glad you like it so far, very much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymuse View Post
    Sorry about that, Abu. I tend to get ahead of myself on my own maps and skitter about from job to job because I get bored doing the same thing for hours on end. (: I think I'm getting ahead of you here, too. xD I just can't wait to see the finished map.
    No problem soggymuse, good to know, i'm in good company regarding this!

So, here's another update:
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpaceportWIPIII.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	77933

I continued drawing more houses and tried to arrange them somewhat maze-like. I placed some of them partly under the landing platforms, to make the different levels more clear. I'm still thinking about what to make of the ancient alien ruins, Meshon ("Archie") mentioned in his description. Any suggestions are welcome!
    CHeers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

This is looking great, love the guns. The font is perfect!

Good to hear you like the font snodsy. I absolutely trust your typographic expertise, so i'm glad there is one thing less to worry about on the map

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	SpaceportWIPIV.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	78087

I continued on the houses and got a little lost in the details of the destroyed bridge, but i'm happy with the result so far. I hope the amount of rubble and dirt is enough to summon my dear team partner Meshon to this site . I'm not entirely sure how to proceed with the central landing zone and the commisioned alien ruins, so i could need some guiding thoughts.

Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...

Ooh, someone doesn't know how to use his ship's laser canons ? Very nice addings!

Looking good, Abu! I'm sure Meshon will approve of the dirt!!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Update:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	SpaceportWIPV.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	78503
    Finally added the central landing zone. It is inside an crater-like ancient alien structures (isn't christmas the time for clichès? ).
    Also changed the canvas to a square format, as there was too much space left to be filled and not enough time to accomplish this.... I shaded and highlighted the alien structures to give an idea of the depth. Not sure about the coloring, as i'm working on my old monitor atm.
    I hope to get this finished before the end of the year.
    I wish you all nice holidays!

Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...

I like the cropped version with the tighter focus. It works just as well, and if it gives you a better chance of finishing, then thumbs up!

The only thing that jumps out at me at the moment is the circular crater thingie to the right. Everything on your map is top-down, but because this circle is slightly flattened it gives it a different perspective. Unless I'm misunderstanding your intent?

Hope you manage to work on this over the next few days and best wishes for the festive season to you too!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you ChickPea. I know what you mean, but i couldn't see it (i guess due to the usual immersion in the work, resulting in a lack of reflexivity ). Anyway, i moved the oval alien-platform and merged it with the governour's palace... I mean, what is better than building your own representative buildings on ancient ruins! Not sure if it still gives the impression of a "mis-perspective" though...

So this might be my last update:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	SpaceportWIPVI.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	78604
    There is still missing a lot of stuff i couldn't add anymore, even with the smaller canvas (most important all the houses around the central landing area and ofc all those little details, many shadows, etc.). Nonetheless i tried to give you all an idea of what i had in mind and started today adding light and shade on the cliffs and most of the refinery (the refinery is still lacking that huge amount of knotted pipes and stuff i imagined for it though). I also changed the font again. With the map coming together step by step, i found the font was a bit to "clean" given the messy character of the spaceport.
    Despite some serious motivation issues and the yearly "end-of-the-year-trouble", it was a lot of fun every time i got back to the map and i try to finish it after the challenge. That's why i'm still very open to all sorts of comments, critique, suggestions, etc.
    I hope you enjoy it.
    In case your new year is starting soon, i wish you all a good "transition" and may the hangover be bearable!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...

Ouch, the street plans is even more chaotic than Mos Eisley's ! You really got a knack for the top-down view on this one.

may the hangover be bearable!
    Well, the main thing is "don't play with a lightsaber on a January 1st" !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast