Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nostria Town Map

I love the feel of this. The painterly texture of it and the way you made the important buildings pop out it just comes down to a great map. Awesome!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilya Kudriashov's Avatar

Great! Really cool!

Blog Entries

Very nice map!
    Excellent chisel work on the buildings roofs.
    However, I find that the black borders are too thick.

Fantastic map! I absolutely adore the texture you've added on the land and especially on the sea. I seem to recall commenting about the texture in one of your previous maps. It's obviously something you've really nailed. I love that dirty, polluted waterway. It looks fantastic. (Well, as fantastic as a dirty, polluted waterway can! )
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Excellent map, as usual, and a lot of fresh and original ideas too. The texture is very good, especially on the land (a bit odd to my taste on the sea, don't know exactly why). Very nice idea for spotting the main buildings, too. My only (minor) nitpick is about the ships : they are very big compared to the houses .

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

@Jaxilon: Thank you, Jaxilon. Greatly appreciated! =)

@Ilya Kudriashov: Thanks!

@AzurePlanet: Thanks! Black borders, hrm... you mean the outlines, I guess?

@ChickPea: Yeah, texturing is something I'm very careful and aware of. I think it can (in some cases) make or break the whole illustration. Thank you! =)

@Ilanthar: Thanks! Yes they are, but ships aren't small compared to buildings of that time. In retrospect I should have included some smaller fisherboats, too. Well, we all learn =)

And thank you everyone for the Rep!
    Visit me on ArtStation.

This is really nice. I especially like the ground texture and the detailed houses. Great piece!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    @AzurePlanet: Thanks! Black borders, hrm... you mean the outlines, I guess?
    Yes indeed SteffenBrand, I meant outlines, sorry for my poor English vocabulary...

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Map

@pasis: Thank you! Happy to hear this is cherished! =)

@AzurePlanet: No problem, I see what you mean (and I'm not from an english-speaking country, too) =). Well, it's neither wrong nor right I guess, it's just a question of taste. I started out doing B/W maps and I'm used to outlines being the most defining / thickest lines. You are not wrong, but it takes some getting used to to change style with colored ones. And I hadn't had the chance to, just because my publisher is very happy with how this looks...

...well: Happy-ish, in fact A small change I had to do again, including a mass burial site north of the graveyard (I also surrounded it with hedge laying). You'll find this easily, just look for the building resembling a broken wheel (number T3) in the north outside the city.
    I also took the chance and at least included one smaller boat near the jetty north of the big bridge. Thank you Ilanthar for this! =)

Best wishes, happy holidays and a happy new year (all in advance),
    Steffen =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web_A4_Nostria(legende).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	78306
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 12-14-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Looking even better now. And you pushed me to consider a mix of big galleons and smaller fisher boats for my own maps. So, it's mutual help !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast