Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dec / Jan 2016 Lite Challenge: Dagobah

Banned User

Default Dec / Jan 2016 Lite Challenge: Dagobah

I'll give a try mapping Dagobah. This seems to be how the planet is depicted in the canonical websites: http://www.geocities.ws/ksw_gd/Dagobah01.jpg

A planet of wetlands, with a few areas of high ground, and a very special resident.

Sounds like a good project!

A great choice. I'm curious to see what type and scale of map you will choose to do here. Aside from Yoda's hut, I have no idea what other notable habitations there may or may not be on the planet.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

Dagobah was originally described just as "a swamp planet". But we all know that planets are not just one ecosystem throughout. Planets have different ecosystems at different latitudes, and they have high ground and low ground.

Later canon suggests that Dagobah was actually an ancient home of the Force, perhaps its origin. Ancient history notes a long-ago parting of the Force into the Dark Side and the Light Side, perhaps on Dagobah.

So I have drawn Dagobah as a true planet with mountains, highlands, and a great swamp covering the equatorial portion of the planet in lieu of an ocean.

Ancient, now-abandoned ruins dot the highland landscapes, and the great meltwater rivers cascade over the high escarpments in massive cataracts and waterfalls, feeding the great swamps that harbor the remaining life, and Yoda.

The old inhabitants may have abandoned Dagobah long ago, but the Force is still strong here .....

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dagobah 06.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	5.05 MB 
ID:	78991

Guild Artisan

This is a nice map but I am bothered by the color of the text. It seems to me that it is too loud and contrasted so that it distracts me from watching the map itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    This is a nice map but I am bothered by the color of the text. It seems to me that it is too loud and contrasted so that it distracts me from watching the map itself.
    Chick maybe just scale the labels down, I agree with Deadshade that they seem to dominant. Looking good otherwise.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Chick maybe just scale the labels down, I agree with Deadshade that they seem to dominant. Looking good otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    Thank you both for the critique. It was hard to find a color that was harmonious with the greens and yet visible against the varied shades. I will try scaling back the brightness, the saturation, and maybe try some other colors, so I'd be grateful for opinions when I do Do you think smaller is better as well?

Banned User

As promised, here are some variations on the font that you all think is too bright. I like nice bright pretty colors, so I'm not a good judge for this. I also love gold, and green and gold is just about my favorite combination. But ... I'd definitely like to hear other opinions.

Same color but darkened:

Name:	Dagobah 06 Darker.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	5.04 MB 
ID:	79009

Same color but desaturated:

Name:	Dagobah 06 Desat.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	5.04 MB 
ID:	79010

Same color but smaller:

Name:	Dagobah 06 Smaller.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.70 MB 
ID:	79012

Greener:

Name:	Dagobah 06 Greenish.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	5.05 MB 
ID:	79011

Guild Artisan

I would say smaller, greener and more desaturated (in that order).
    I think that the problem I have is that there is too much text so that at some places like central left one sees more text than map. Perhaps remove some of it ? I know it's hard but sometimes less is more.

I like both the desaturated and the greener colours (probably a slight preference for the desaturated), but definitely go for the smaller size. I feel too much of your work gets lost behind the larger labels.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast