Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crater island

Wip Crater island

Hello,

I have been working on a small crater island for few days. I have spent most of my time so far on creating the seabed and the sea itself. I still have quite a lot to do with the actual crater formation. Currently I have the rocky edges in place and in general they are exatly what I'm after, but the overall island doesn't look natural.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-1.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	78533  

It's looks great so far pasis.
    Why do you feel the overall island doesn't look right?
    I'd offer advice if I new what the island looked like.

Banned User

I'm not sure what you intend this to look like, but craters are holes, not islands, so if you want an island, you must be making it a circular one with a huge lake in the center?

Thanks J. I was about to post the whole image to ask for help and I realized I had incorrect shadow directions in some parts. With some editing I got then corrected (I propably need to tweak few things but they should be about right now). I didn't change the shape at all and now it looks ok.

Chick- Hold on, here is the whole set to get a better idea.

Name:	Map-2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	78535  

Banned User

Now that's a beautiful job of rocks and grass, but you still have a problem. The central pit should be much deeper than the outside terrain (impacts dig a BIG hole), and since there is no way for water to flow out of the central pit, it must be a lake. Over time, rain and mountain runoff would fill it until it found a place to overflow. So you need a lake as deep as the lowest point in the crater rim, and a waterfall there.

Yep, the rock and grass are fantastic.
    I would agree with Chick - even if this were a caldera or old volcano the inner area would have the same issue with water.
    If you don't want the whole thing to be a lake then you could pick an area and erode the rock down to a suitable level for the water to escape.
    Then you could have a manageable lake area and still retain grassy areas.
    The water exit doesn't have to be huge - could be a narrow but deep crevice in one of the outer cliff walls.

On a different note - the water and waves crashing on the shore are awesome.
    You are doing such great work with these maps Pasis. I always enjoy seeing your new work.

I like that, it is similar to a place that I describe in my novel, except it is in the mountains.

Indeed you are correct, there should be water inside the crater as well. I’m planning on creating a cave connecting the outside sea. I’m not sure yet whether I will leave any water inside or not (except the water that is in the cave of course). The cave should function also as a hideout entrance for local pirates.

This is such an outstanding job with this style, so realistic and the land mass into the water really captures that transition nicely. Great job, look forward to seeing the finished map.

Added a cave leading to a pool inside a crater. All excess water flow now to the pool.

Name:	Map-3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	78557  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast