Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tilvarel Valley - Drawing exercise turning into map

I've been watching this come together and the result is absolutely amazing! I think I like the look of the black and white map better, but the coloured makes it easier to distict certain features. Either way this map is great.

-Dan

That looks good. I can't even tell where that center problem area was without looking closely and comparing.
    However there is still a perspective issue with the lake on the upper left side. I think the problem could be fixed if you erase the inch of coast at the top and just rely on a fade or something, because our eyes are used to having a horizon at some point so when we don't the land start to bend oddly.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Durakken View Post
    That looks good. I can't even tell where that center problem area was without looking closely and comparing.
    However there is still a perspective issue with the lake on the upper left side. I think the problem could be fixed if you erase the inch of coast at the top and just rely on a fade or something, because our eyes are used to having a horizon at some point so when we don't the land start to bend oddly.
    You're right. I couldn't see it at first, prolly because I'd been staring at it for so long. But I flipped the image horizontally when I read your last comment and now it sticks out like a sore thumb. I guess that's the lack of planning coming back to haunt me. I think a fade might work, or maybe even the opposite: more details surrounding the trouble areas. That's what solved most of the problems with that center area you mentioned. I barely touched that forest itself. Whatever the solution is: it's for an another time.
    I always thought of this one as isometric rather than perspective. And in the last case, you could even tilt the "camera" down so you don't see a horizon. But then you'd still need things to get smaller towards the back (which I didn't do here). Maybe iso isn't the best option for a map of this scale, or I should find ways of making it work somehow.
    Thanks for pointing this out!

Quote Originally Posted by RigoIII View Post
    Hard to decide which one's better! I like the overall tone of the first one, but the second one has perfectly delineated the buildings, which honestly I did not notice in the first picture. Keep on the good work!
    It was a bit of a trade-off. I decided to go for colours because I think it looks better, but it also imparts information: it tells you exactly where the settlements are. One of the things I loved about Riddell's illustration is the fact that you need to look for those settlements, or stumble across them by accident. Sadly my drawing skills are nowhere near Riddell's (yet) so I went with pretty on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You gave me a mapgasm.
    Oh dear ... *hands tissues*

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    I think a fade might work, or maybe even the opposite: more details surrounding the trouble areas. That's what solved most of the problems with that center area you mentioned. I barely touched that forest itself. Whatever the solution is: it's for an another time.
    I always thought of this one as isometric rather than perspective. And in the last case, you could even tilt the "camera" down so you don't see a horizon. But then you'd still need things to get smaller towards the back (which I didn't do here). Maybe iso isn't the best option for a map of this scale, or I should find ways of making it work somehow.
    Thanks for pointing this out!
    Yeah, that's the other solution I was thinking of but adding is usually more difficult than subtracting so I didn't mention it.
    Another reason why I suggested subtracting that line is because then it would appear that you just always planned to do it that way with the title at that height where as adding tends to mean that you'd likely have to fill a lot more of the space and then have to figure out what to do with the title.
    The thing is though, there isn't anything actually wrong with it and is just a trick of the eye that you can get even in real life. It's just weird.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345