Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making of Qaliste

Map Making of Qaliste

I was going to do the wip while working but it just progressed rather quicker than I planned.
    So I'm putting it up here after the fact. Here's the finished map of Qaliste.

As said previously, this whole thing came about because I bought some new fonts and wanted to try them out.
    So I took an old map and dropped some fonts on it. I quickly wrote up some 'inspirational' text and tried out several fonts.
    I love type and lettering so I was having a good time. [ yep, total nerd. ]
    Here's where it started
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qaliste b001.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	650.7 KB 
ID:	78699
    Well, technically, it started back in 2012 with this sketch.

Name:	Qaliste a001.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	723.1 KB 
ID:	78701 and then this redo Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qaliste a002.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	409.6 KB 
ID:	78702

Now, I've been slowly plugging away at an atlas style that wasn't often very popular.
    But I knew I could make it better if I worked at it. Here's some progression on that concept.

Name:	Marlwood Region 02 lo2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	78703 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carmegenny Region 01_alt8b.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	585.8 KB 
ID:	78704 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peng Li 01a.jpg 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	78705

It was getting better. Then The ME maps gave me a push. Then working on Haerlech got me a little further.

Name:	EqR-M.L1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	78706 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gondor [M5] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	78707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NL - Haerlech region 01a_edit2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	78708

But back to that motivational text...
    After looking at the text, I thought 'your map doesn't look good enough for that text and what it says'.
    So I had to do something to it. I got to working on it for a bit...

Name:	Qaliste b002.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	726.7 KB 
ID:	78709 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qaliste b003.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	767.4 KB 
ID:	78710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qaliste b004.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	890.2 KB 
ID:	78711

I was happy with it but realized that I couldn't leave it there. It needed more.

Name:	Qaliste b005.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	977.6 KB 
ID:	78712 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qaliste b006.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	983.6 KB 
ID:	78713 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qaliste b007.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	78714

It went a few steps further to it's current form. And a nice antique version.

Name:	Lands of Qaliste [stage1] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	78715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Olde Qaliste 01 by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	78716

I still want to do some more work to it. I wanted to do a really cool border and maybe some other bits.
    But then I got myself drawn in to making the whole world that Qaliste sits in.
    Obviously that's going to take some time to do.

At the moment I am considering trying to make a campaign product out of this with additional maps and such.
    I have some stuff I need to learn about putting together and releasing product on DTRPG though.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You amaze me. You really do. This is fantastic, super-detail-oriented, beautiful, visionary, hypnotic work. I would buy ANY roleplaying product envisioned by you, with your maps.

In fact:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	78724  

Blog Entries

Awesome! Amazing!
    Thank you very much J. for posting all this precious information!
    It's very cool to see your written statement and the development from hand-drawn sketch to finished maps.

I have been particularly impressed by the maps of "Carmegenny Area" and "Island of the Moon": I simply love that effective management of contours and shadows. May I ask you if you made DTMs too? Can you explain how did you get that realistic shadowing?
    Finally, can you tell some more about the graticule in the maps of Qaliste? Is that a particular geographic projection?
    Thanks again in advance for your kind replies.

I wish I could get that kind of quality in my regional maps - I find them soooooo difficult.

A campaign product would be pretty impressive to see especially with some of your illustration work too (it'd make for a very evocative setting).
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Thanks for sharing this. It's fascinating to me to see your process and how you develop your art.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You amaze me. You really do. This is fantastic, super-detail-oriented, beautiful, visionary, hypnotic work. I would buy ANY roleplaying product envisioned by you, with your maps.

In fact:
    Well that's a confidence booster for sure.
    I'm working on laying out the whole world where Qaliste sits so I know more about it.
    But I am going to try to put together something with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by AzurePlanet View Post
    Awesome! Amazing!
    Thank you very much J. for posting all this precious information!
    It's very cool to see your written statement and the development from hand-drawn sketch to finished maps.

I have been particularly impressed by the maps of "Carmegenny Area" and "Island of the Moon": I simply love that effective management of contours and shadows. May I ask you if you made DTMs too? Can you explain how did you get that realistic shadowing?
    Finally, can you tell some more about the graticule in the maps of Qaliste? Is that a particular geographic projection?
    No, didn't make DTMs. Would like to. I have always tried to find a good way to make my maps into 3d terrains but it's complex.
    I have found it easier and faster to learn to just draw/paint them.
    There are definitely advantages to having them as 3d but the time and difficulty involved is immense.
    I used to work with old Terragen and have used Vue Infinite for a number of years.
    The current version of Vue [that I don't have] has a feature that would let me use a base map then paint the terrain.
    That might prove very helpful and save a load of time too.

The light and shadow is just layers - light is usually set to soft light. Shadow is usually set to multiply.
    I use varying shades of warm greys for light and shadow. It's all just hand done. Takes a long time but I don't know another way to go about it and get the same results.
    I learned a lot about light and shadow when I was doing 3d work years back. I used to create stock 3d models for sale on a few sites.
    I religiously look at satellite images of terrain. That helps too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I wish I could get that kind of quality in my regional maps - I find them soooooo difficult.

A campaign product would be pretty impressive to see especially with some of your illustration work too (it'd make for a very evocative setting).
    I know what you mean Larb. I had trouble achieving this for years. It took a long time and a concerted amount of direct effort to get to this point.
    I used to try things and they wouldn't work. I gave up on a lot of maps for a long time. It was really frustrating too.
    I knew I could draw. I was okay at painting. But I just couldn't get it together on a map.
    I had to force myself to do some routine exercises at terrain for over a year before it started to look sort of worthwhile.

I thought I'd throw this in here. This was the best I could do with this map back in 2012.
    It's a bit sad and uninspiring. I didn't even know how to do the coast lines thing with stroke at that point.

Name:	Landmass for Fiction M-edit.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	78770
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. It's fascinating to me to see your process and how you develop your art.
    My pleasure ChickPea.
    I like trying to show people how things work or how I do them.
    Also, to show that it all just starts with a sketch. Nothing special or fancy.
    And ideas can come from all over the place.

The entire map is striking, but what really does it for me is the simple choice to have the map bursting out of the boarder. I love that. So tastefully done, too. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for sharing, once again, your process and earlier version - gives us hope that our skills could develop into something worth actually looking at. Would rep you if I could, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by AzurePlanet View Post
    I totally forgot to answer this Azure. Sorry about that.
    It isn't a true graticule set. I was working fast and hadn't laid out the whole planet yet so I didn't have accurate info.
    I just distorted a grid to give it the look of graticules. Obviously now that I am laying out the world, I'll have to go back and make changes to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
    The entire map is striking, but what really does it for me is the simple choice to have the map bursting out of the boarder. I love that. So tastefully done, too. Thank you for sharing!
    Thanks Humabout. I love little things like that too. And asymmetry as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Thanks for sharing, once again, your process and earlier version - gives us hope that our skills could develop into something worth actually looking at. Would rep you if I could, thanks again.
    Your skills are already there snodsy.
    But yes, that was why I wanted to show that 2012 version. I knew so little back then.
    There were so many things that I wanted to do with my maps but just didn't know how to do it.
    The will to learn is a big part of improving I think. Even more so than skills, as skills can be learned.

After chatting with Max on the Olde Qalist thread I decided to do some edits of that version - see if I could get a better contrast without totally redoing the map.
    I did an edited antique version with much more contrast - maybe too much - and a greyscale version - also maybe too much contrast.
    I want to do a true black and white but that will be a total redo so it will have to wait a bit.

Name:	Olde Qaliste 02 by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	78807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Olde Qaliste 03 by sirinkman.jpg 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	78808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast