Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantasy Continent (Image Heavy)

Started highlighting hills and valleys (not entirely happy with it yet), and added some color for the forests and jungles for this region.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent_003_Peninsula_Sketch_hillsrivers_001.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	79141

Guild Novice

Hi OrangeBug- you're map is coming along beautifully! I have a quick question though - what (tools) did you use to color your forests and jungles? I love the style and am interested in incorporating it into the map I'm working on

Quote Originally Posted by _witchborn View Post
    what (tools) did you use to color your forests and jungles?
    I'm using Krita for this map. I just used a quick grunge-y brush to lay in some rough color for the jungles. I think I started with some lighter green, and then layered in some darker green for the denser jungles.

I used This tutorial for the top-down mountains.

This tutorial for the coasts.
    And This tutorial for defining the hills and valleys (still working on that).

Been a while since I updated, been working on some other projects.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent_003_Peninsula_Sketch_Tepui.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	9.29 MB 
ID:	79643

I redid some of the mountains to create a region of plateaus, or Tepui. They are kind of... huge for Tepui, so I'm citing story reasons for their existence.

I filled in much more of the color of the map, including the island chains.

Although it's not visible in the above image, I imported in and aligned the original grayscale heightmap render, so I can trace the mountain ridges with much more resolution.

I also imported in the hex grid I generated in Inkscape, and aligned it down to the individual hex coordinates to the original map. Those hexes are 25 miles each (one days travel), so that should help give a sense of scale.

I still need to finish tracing in the other mountain ranges, and fill in the shadows and highlights for the mountains and hills.

I also need to draw in more rivers and lakes. I'm planning on making the depression in the middle of the peninsula a flood plane, that floods during the summer. Then either drains in the fall into the ocean to the southwest, or into the ground.

Eventually I'll probably end up expanding this map to the full size of the continent. Luckily the heightmap and hex grid images I imported are not cropped versions, so I should be able to just increase the canvas size up to the full size.

That's all for now, the first game using this continent starts this Saturday, should be fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12