Thread: Continent of Skahria - general Layout and Basemap

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Wip Continent of Skahria - general Layout and Basemap

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or just to use my old one, but I decided to start a new one as to keep projects a bit separated.

So using the map from the old thread as a base, I came up with a quick and dirty technique for a general layout . I've never been satisfied with using the brush tool and making just one brush tip for mountains, but the more i'm using it the more I like it. It's nowhere as good looking as hand drawn mountains, but it suits the purpose of a general layout perfectly. I'm planning to use the brushes in my political map versions. The last entry in this thread would be kind of a preview.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skahria-Politisch-V2-High.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	7.76 MB 
ID:	78941

I haven't finished laying down all the rivers yet and the mountains are by no means carefully placed, but this helps a lot with an overview. In the end I'll be turning this into a political map as seen in the Bataar thread.

As to the question of scale, I'm roughly aiming for a size like Europe and North Africa. Don't know if that'll be right in the end.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Great! Someone else doing a reboot! It's looking very promising, Llannagh, keep the updates coming ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I redid the mountains a bit more carefully and with a new brush, so now I think it looks much better. It's still very generic, but that's exactly the point: I'm not aiming for a detailed representation of where every single mountain should be, but just the outline of the ranges. Like someone drawing a map saying "Ah yes, and there are some mountains here, but never you mind, not important right now!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skahria-Politisch-V2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	7.76 MB 
ID:	79002

Alo, thank you Caenwyr! It's less a reboot as much as a continuation, I'm planning on making this map in the style of the original post, too! Though that might take a while...

For now I'll be going back to my Bataar map and finish that.