Thread: rohiranh Map A-1

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Help rohiranh Map A-1

Please tell me what you think of this map. I am currently just using a map system on a place called Inkarnate. I have a Mac, so please tell me some places or software I can make maps on for Mac, preferably places that are maybe free, cause I would prefer not to spend any real money at the moment. Thank You.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map (1).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	79223  

Hi rohiranh, welcome to the Guild. You could take a look at this article, which lists various software packages some of which are free or relatively low cost. Generally, Gimp and Inkscape are the best free options. I've never used Inkcarnate though I hear people talking about it more and more.

I like the colour palette you've chosen in your map, though I'm not completely sold on some of your land mass shapes, but maybe that's just me. You're off to a nice start however, and I'll look forward to seeing your next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank You for your help ChickPea. I look forward to experimenting with some of the software. On Inkarnate, I like how it is simple to use and design, I found out from a friend that was using it to make roleplaying game maps. And also, I do agree I am not really good on some of my land mass shapes, its hard for me to figure out which ones look good and which ones don't. Thank You for your input and help and I look forward to posting more maps.

Did you take inspiration from SE Asia for the coastlines? It looks like it, with part of Papua on a different place. I think your main problem with the land shapes is the regularity of it. You should do some parts with more straight lines, some parts with lots of curves, and a bit of more "sharp" lines.

Your correct on the part of SE Asia, I am trying to make a world for a fantasy story I am in the process of writing, and one of the nations in power is somewhat like Imperial Japan in characterization so I am trying to find a good inspiration of making their continent, and that was my attempt of trying out different types of land masses. And thanks for the advice on the shapes of the landmasses.