Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: First map, be gentle.

I'm new here as well, so I can't say this with much certainty, but I feel like the dots would be nicer if they were fully within the road line, not overlapping onto the forests. I think that might be all there is to it.

Also, your linework is awesome - I saw all the progress you made and I really wish I knew how you did it. I can't get my lines to be smooth like that at all, I've really been struggling for the past few days with linework. Very well done!

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    I'm new here as well, so I can't say this with much certainty, but I feel like the dots would be nicer if they were fully within the road line, not overlapping onto the forests. I think that might be all there is to it.

Also, your linework is awesome - I saw all the progress you made and I really wish I knew how you did it. I can't get my lines to be smooth like that at all, I've really been struggling for the past few days with linework. Very well done!
    My line work? Awesome? /blush

LOL Not likely my skill. I use a tablet if that helps (I started out with a mouse!). I couldn't do anything without it now. Best Christmas gift ever!

Yeah, I think my sloppy road work might be the issue. I really should re-do it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapadvice18.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	79395

And this is what it looks like now? I think it looks better, much appreciated Max!

It's very spiky but also very well drawn. I suppose it depends mainly of the "kind" of land you want to depict. For example, imo, it's excellent for a demonic land, but not so for an old eroded canyon.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

True. Real world canyons tend to be less spiky and more "blocky".

About the roads: you might consider a simple black line with a white outer stroke (set to overlay). You can draw clean linework using paths in PS / GIMP. those dotted lines actually lower the impression of detail available in your map, while the mountains, coasts and forest seem very high-def. It'd be a shame to throw that away with dotted lines, right?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    True. Real world canyons tend to be less spiky and more "blocky".

About the roads: you might consider a simple black line with a white outer stroke (set to overlay). You can draw clean linework using paths in PS / GIMP. those dotted lines actually lower the impression of detail available in your map, while the mountains, coasts and forest seem very high-def. It'd be a shame to throw that away with dotted lines, right?
    I agree, infact I plan on removing the dotted lines and add wagon marks.

Name:	mapadvice19.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	321.1 KB 
ID:	79410

Developed the rivers and lakes, hows it look? This is only a small chunk of the map again, don't worry about the lower half, its still in construction. lol

Changing the color scheme to a more game style for the mountains, what do you guys think?

Name:	mapadvice20.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	79419
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	804.7 KB 
ID:	79417   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	23 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	79418  
    Last edited by Robert Boucher; 01-23-2016 at 12:22 AM.

I really like the brown/grey one, rather than the more green plateau. But that might just be my tastes! Also, the mountain coloring looks fabulous, well done!! Who said you weren't good at coloring, that's gorgeous Really makes them pop!

Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    I really like the brown/grey one, rather than the more green plateau. But that might just be my tastes! Also, the mountain coloring looks fabulous, well done!! Who said you weren't good at coloring, that's gorgeous Really makes them pop!
    lol I hate my coloring. But I have to learn.

My trick was using a gradient on the line work. Not sure if looks better with the darker lines yet though. Or maybe I should reverse the gradient?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast