Thread: Hello

Guild Apprentice

Default Hello

Hello
    I am an architect and have been told by a friend on net that this forum did some architecture too.
    A cursory check showed me that here are indeed many architectural pictures like houses, appartments, towers etc.
    Some of them would probably crash down or be very unpleasant to live in but it was interesting to look how it was done

I play with the idea to try one day to invent a map of mine too. Of course I think of something else than buildings otherwise I would feel like working. Perhaps a large regional map with colors and rivers. But first I'll have to spend some time to look around this place.

Banned User

Hello Gudern, Welcome to the Guild!

To get you started, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called
    Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to
    Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

Guild Apprentice

Thanks Chick but I am not really artistically challenged. What I need is more to understand the rules of a map composition - what scales are used, what view are better looking than others and all this stuff. But I ll surely have a look in the Tutorial section.

While keeping the nature of fantasy in mind, I think some actual architectural knowledge would be welcome. Look forward to your stuff!
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I love the idea of having more architectural knowledge around, Gudern. There's a reassuring quality to a map or schematic that's been properly and thoughtfully designed according to principles of construction and physics. It's also fun to have science-fiction or fantasy buildings that are held up in exotic shapes by magic or "magical technology". Some of the building materials in the stories we are mapping have properties that Earth-bound architects could only dream of...but everything still needs to make sense in the context of the story, no matter what. I'm sure it will help to have the realistic knowledge you bring to the table in our discussions in these forums.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

I'm excited to see what dungeon designs you'll make with your architectural expertise

Guild Apprentice

I am sorry but I'll have to disappoint your expectations.
    I absolutely don't plan to do as hobby something that's my work - I am already doing that for a living.
    So no buildings, no dungeons, no caves, no villages with parks and statues and such
    What I'd like to try my hand on, is rather a continental map - I am fascinated with river flows for example.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Gudern View Post
    What I'd like to try my hand on, is rather a continental map - I am fascinated with river flows for example.
    Then don't miss these:

How to Get Your Rivers in the Right Place: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822

and
    The Most Common Reality Errors:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30156

Have fun and I'll look forward to seeing your first map post!