Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unnamed commissioned regional map

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Lovely ink drawing Lingon. It's so neat and detailed! I'm not sure if I like the font you chose that much, but still a great looking map!
    Thanks! Ah, ok, the font is one of my favorites actually, so I'm afraid it might return

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    This is absolutely gorgeous, Lingon!
    Thanks Chick!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Glad to see you back Lingon ! Excellent map, I only wish to see a bigger version of it.
    Cheers, it was fun to post again I maybe shrunk it unnecessarily much, haha! Not so much that any detail became invisible though, it's not a very intricate map ^^

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Always enjoy your map Lingon. Great work! Just wish you would post more often

This looks a little gray from the scan. Was that intentional?

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thanks Tainotim! I know, I wish I'd post more often too, haha… Will do my best As to the gray, do you mean the black or the white? The white should be pure, the lines are intentionally not 100% black as I prefer a slightly softer look, plus it makes the labels (which are not actually 100% either, but more black than the ink stuff) stand out better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Looks great! I like how you made the coastline look so natural. Great work!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    That's lovely! Very smooth. Great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Yeah, I'm really curious how you went from physical to digital. The definition on this looks great, and it didn't get all blown out in contrast.

I like the fjord in the south.
    Cheers! It's a simple process, I draw all natural features on paper, take a scan at 600 dpi, open in Photoshop, clean up white areas that turned gray using the wand tool, and add the labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Roberson View Post
    Great map, nice detailing especially for hand drawn. once again Great map.
    Thanks! The detailing is the fun part!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Really beautiful map Lingon. Nice job.
    Thank you! And now, your username makes me think of Jax in the Alchemy Wars series…

Thanks a lot, Ravi! ^^

I meant the white. When I opened the map it contrasted towards the white of my browser window. However, might just be my computer screen. Still looks awesome either way!

I read what you wrote about the wand tool to clean up gray areas. Have you tried using levels? (Ctrl + L) That way you can balance out any issues a scanned bw image might create

Cheers,
    Tainotim

This is quite beautiful, though I'd have loved to see a bigger version too. The glow around the coastline works really well, and I love the compass too. It'll look fantastic in a book. Great job!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Cheers guys! Regarding the method, I actually made a mistake explaining that, I was thinking about a different map I just finished. In this one I didn't clean up the white, I left the paper texture just to add that slight bit of interest to the blank space. So yes, it is a bit gray in fact, haha. I usually do that when the client doesn't need a strictly black & white piece, but is ok with grayscale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12