Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP – some land and a bit of sea

I think the red is too bright, especially comparing to that Nantucket map. However, I don't recall seeing 50% red pens in my local store, so...maybe go for 005 on the red and 02 on everything else?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Many thanks for the feedback, I agree with you both, the brown doesn't work and the red is too bright… The option on the right would indeed be loads of work, but I think I should be able to separate the rivers and the contours into digital layers and add the broken-up effect as a glow/outline. Then I'd also be able to play around with the brightness of the red. Never intended to do any more than the line work before going digital on this one anyway, so I think that's the path I'll take here.

Contour time… It probably wasn't very smart to start with (what I'm viewing as) the main area, but it was the section I was most eager to detail, so… haha. I'm thinking these are at 100 meter intervals, making the tallest peaks of the mountain range 1400-1500 m. This area is about the size of the european part of Russia, in my mind, by the way. Penciled in the rivers too, though I might actually draw them on a separate paper. Starting to wonder why I'm even drawing this traditionally as there will be so much digital stuff done, haha…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ingen1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	80546

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You're outta your mind. Look at that - I would've gone crazy. Looking really good, but yeah, in order to make things legible you'll really have to tone down that red later on.

Crazy can be useful ;D Haha, thanks a lot Diamond! I've finished the contours for the rest of the map and added rivers, and then I got flow and put in some soft shadows and highlights in PS. Will have to add a paper texture it seems, as the natural texture of the paper wasn't strong enough to appear in the scan. Also going to darken the red I think, and something needs to be done with all that sea…

Name:	ingen4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	80621

Tweaked the colors, added texture, and placeholder labels to test font and stuff… Starting to like that empty white sea I think, once it gets some labels.

Name:	ingen5.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	80644

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking really good. Yeah, I think with the paper texture in there, the seas look great.

Wow, that's excellent Lingon. Lovely paper style. How did you do those excellent height shadowing?

This map looks great, Lingon! The contours are insane but turned out really good! Can't wait to see the final map (:

-Dan

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I do realy dislike how the whiteshading is "on top" of teh red lines and distressing them. Also I do think the font size is way to big for this map, which suggest a larger area. I would reduce it at least by half size.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast