Thread: First attempt - Abelios

Default First attempt - Abelios

Hi everyone,
    here my first attemp at fantasy mapping. This is what gonna be Abelios a kingdom of my D&D setting. First, i want to specify that i know nothing about photoshop so my plan was to take a look at the tutorial tread and pick one that suit me well... I choosed to go with handdrawn map tutorial by Gidde for GIMP. So i did some research on google to go through the first steps. Here what i got for now...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abelios-1.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	495.8 KB 
ID:	80656

I'm now struggling with my mountain.
    Last edited by Apeiron; 02-25-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Hi Apeiron,

Working in GIMP or Photoshop for the first time can be very difficult. My only suggestion would be not to tie yourself to one tutorial. If the mountains in this particular tutorial or giving you trouble, try the mountains in other tutorials and see if they are easier for you. You might find that one style works better for you than another.

In my case, I was so terrible at drawing mountains that I used texture files instead. My map turned out fine (in my humble opinion) and so will yours if you play to your strengths and use the styles that are easiest for you.

Just my $0.02 worth. Good luck with your map!

RPG Podcasts Done Right www.kotnpodcast.com

5-Star Rating with over 100 iTunes Reviews

Fantasy, Modern, and Steampunk adventures told by a group of old friends with extensive editing and ambient soundtrack

I finaly decided to follow your advice and try another style of mountain... I am realy not sure about it but well after trying several styles i end up with this one, i hope i gonna be able to do something nice with it in the shading mode.

Here an update of my work.

Name:	Abelios-2.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	808.4 KB 
ID:	80668

Those look awesome! And for a first attempt too! Great! (trust me, a billion times better than the first maps I drew). Are you using a tablet?

Yes i'm using a Intuos creative pen tablet. Used it for the first time in this project and well it's an awesome tool.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apeiron View Post
    Yes i'm using a Intuos creative pen tablet. Used it for the first time in this project and well it's an awesome tool.
    I can't remember the days I used to draw maps with just a mouse, that graphic tablet (I have an older Bamboo, but the principle is the same) made such a difference! Also, I love your mountains, they kinda remind me of Guilin, China. I have to concur with Josiah (not that I mind ), this is very impressive, especially for a 'novice'!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Apeiron View Post
    I finaly decided to follow your advice and try another style of mountain... I am realy not sure about it but well after trying several styles i end up with this one, i hope i gonna be able to do something nice with it in the shading mode.

Here an update of my work.

Name:	Abelios-2.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	808.4 KB 
ID:	80668
    Holy crap, those are amazing! Nice work Apeiron! Can't wait to see where you take this. Happy mapping!

RPG Podcasts Done Right www.kotnpodcast.com

5-Star Rating with over 100 iTunes Reviews

Fantasy, Modern, and Steampunk adventures told by a group of old friends with extensive editing and ambient soundtrack

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Cant wait to see how you will draw other elements. Nice start.