Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Mars Map (redone)

Well, since they're each posted in their own thread, I'll say it here. Fantastic work with not only the map itself, yet all the peripheral information, crests and so on. The best part is like any good map, it all makes me want to learn the story behind the places, people, cultures, and conflicts they represent. And the publishing date of 1949 makes me even more curious. Wonderful work that's impressive in all regards.

K2

Quote Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    Well, since they're each posted in their own thread, I'll say it here. Fantastic work with not only the map itself, yet all the peripheral information, crests and so on. The best part is like any good map, it all makes me want to learn the story behind the places, people, cultures, and conflicts they represent. And the publishing date of 1949 makes me even more curious. Wonderful work that's impressive in all regards.

K2
    Thanks again, K2!
    Really glad you like those , it's one of my two big projetcs. Reading your comment, I realize I forgot to mention a few things & links.
    First, you'll be able to find a map of Earth here,
    I've also plans for doing Venus & Moon maps in the same setting, with some tests here.
    And some tests about historic map to go with the martian atlas here.

My plan is to get done at least the regional maps of Mars and maybe some full Mars Map at the end of this year. Though, I'm a bit late on schedule right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Thanks again, K2!
    Really glad you like those , it's one of my two big projetcs. Reading your comment, I realize I forgot to mention a few things & links.
    First, you'll be able to find a map of Earth here,
    I've also plans for doing Venus & Moon maps in the same setting, with some tests here.
    And some tests about historic map to go with the martian atlas here.

My plan is to get done at least the regional maps of Mars and maybe some full Mars Map at the end of this year. Though, I'm a bit late on schedule right now.
    There is only one word for it...Spectacular!

I don't know if you're also a writer, but -"I"- am a firm believer that detailed world-building (not as literally as you've done with planets, hehe) goes a long way toward not only making a story concise but plausible. If you are--a writer--I hope you publish whatever this all goes with in English as well. If you're not, it might be well worth your while to find yourself a good one, and considering how developed your map work is, get them moving on your vision.

My Husband--who is a massive Edgar Rice Burroughs fan--really loved perusing the images. I could see the wheels turning into his mind as to what sort of story these all went with. When I point out that Venus, the Moon, and Earth are a part of the project, I expect he'll be even more excited at what might come.

Fantastic stuff!

K2

By -K2-
    I don't know if you're also a writer, but -"I"- am a firm believer that detailed world-building (not as literally as you've done with planets, hehe) goes a long way toward not only making a story concise but plausible. If you are--a writer--I hope you publish whatever this all goes with in English as well. If you're not, it might be well worth your while to find yourself a good one, and considering how developed your map work is, get them moving on your vision.

My Husband--who is a massive Edgar Rice Burroughs fan--really loved perusing the images. I could see the wheels turning into his mind as to what sort of story these all went with. When I point out that Venus, the Moon, and Earth are a part of the project, I expect he'll be even more excited at what might come.
    I'm no writer, just a table-top rpg game master who like to develop his own worlds. I do cherish the idea thath I'll be able to do a martian atlas in this setting (and possibly a venusian one) though.
    Glad your husband like them too. I think my setting is more modern than E.R. Burroughs Mars since it's dated on an alternate 1948/1949. And my Mars is rather a cold world. But I can see there are some common things, and truth be told, the orignal idea for the whole setting was inspired by a picture of a WW2 planes dofight over the surface of another planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I'm no writer, just a table-top rpg game master who like to develop his own worlds. I do cherish the idea thath I'll be able to do a martian atlas in this setting (and possibly a venusian one) though.
    Glad your husband like them too. I think my setting is more modern than E.R. Burroughs Mars since it's dated on an alternate 1948/1949. And my Mars is rather a cold world. But I can see there are some common things, and truth be told, the orignal idea for the whole setting was inspired by a picture of a WW2 planes dofight over the surface of another planet.
    Well, I don't think that an addition to or continuation of ERB's work is what he found so intriguing. It's the possibilities that arise from placing a story on another world. In such tales all bets are off. The best and worst of man's morality and motivations become un-tethered to the mindsets and politics of Earth. They might still have ties, but if the powers at be back on Terra attempt to exert too much influence, they risk rebellion and secession.

Your choice of dates--post-WWII--makes it equally interesting in that the alternate history coupled to limited advancements allows for more room to play and imagine.

Whether through intent or resulting circumstance, you've built quite a bit more world than just a map. The possibilities only limited by imagination.

Great work!

K2

Fantastic work as always. Didn't realize you work in Krita.

Quote Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    Well, I don't think that an addition to or continuation of ERB's work is what he found so intriguing. It's the possibilities that arise from placing a story on another world. In such tales all bets are off. The best and worst of man's morality and motivations become un-tethered to the mindsets and politics of Earth. They might still have ties, but if the powers at be back on Terra attempt to exert too much influence, they risk rebellion and secession.

Your choice of dates--post-WWII--makes it equally interesting in that the alternate history coupled to limited advancements allows for more room to play and imagine.

Whether through intent or resulting circumstance, you've built quite a bit more world than just a map. The possibilities only limited by imagination.

Great work!

K2
    For now, It's more colonies and the new place of competition for powers (there had been no world war in my setting, yet, but wars here & there, including on Mars). And yes, I'm clearly imagining that there will be a decolonization a bit everywhere at some point. My version of the LoN is also quite different since it has an army force and a lot more power and independence, mainly on the "other worlds".

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    Fantastic work as always. Didn't realize you work in Krita.
    Thank you very much! Yes, Krita became my main tool for almost everything since I bought a tablet.

And by the way, I'm still working on the topography East of the Sea of Acidalia and the Lake of Argyre.
    And on this view of Argentières....
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vue Argentiere.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	5.15 MB 
ID:	129886

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oooh, nice view !!
    Thanks a lot. I think I'm gonna do this city smaller than I first intended though... Or more sparsely builded in the outer parts.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vue Argentiere.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	130073

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast