Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Mars Map (redone)

Some more. I might add an airport close to the viewer's point.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vue Argentiere2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	130249

Still spreading the city on my spare time.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Vue Argentiere.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	130292

What do you think of the airport? believable?
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Vue Argentiere2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	130363

I know nothing about airports but would they have the runway on an axis that is facing into all the buildings of the town? If you have something flying over the town/city when it is taking off/landing doesn't that make it a lot more likely for someone to crash into the buildings? I would have thought it would be turned to be a bit more parallel to the buildings if that makes sense.

This is awesome!!! your illustration and concepts are amazing Ilanthar!
    As for the airport question: it's a bit smaller to me.. runaways are miles longer, expecially near cliffs like those. Make the runaway proceede to the right and disappear "behind" the rock.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I was wondering which thread this map disappeared too! I am glad I found it again (and now I subscribe here as well). The airport scale seems a bit small to me as well. Just looking at the town-building sizes as compared to the plane sizes the planes seem a bit small (although I know you have your own homebrew airship styles which very well could be smaller than the planes I know).

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    I know nothing about airports but would they have the runway on an axis that is facing into all the buildings of the town? If you have something flying over the town/city when it is taking off/landing doesn't that make it a lot more likely for someone to crash into the buildings? I would have thought it would be turned to be a bit more parallel to the buildings if that makes sense.
    Yeah, that's a concern. I won't add many buildings in this area tough. The rest of the city will spread around the port, the rest will be more likely sparsed farms and crops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    This is awesome!!! your illustration and concepts are amazing Ilanthar!
    As for the airport question: it's a bit smaller to me.. runaways are miles longer, expecially near cliffs like those. Make the runaway proceede to the right and disappear "behind" the rock.
    Thanks a lot, Tom! Yeah the size and general view were my main concerns. I didn't really found precise data about the required length for planes of that time era. Seems that it's around 1,5-2 km, probably (smaller than today with the big airplanes).

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I was wondering which thread this map disappeared too! I am glad I found it again (and now I subscribe here as well). The airport scale seems a bit small to me as well. Just looking at the town-building sizes as compared to the plane sizes the planes seem a bit small (although I know you have your own homebrew airship styles which very well could be smaller than the planes I know).
    héhé, yes, I thought it would be a way to maintain this thread active while I'm still doing topography around Argyre... Looks like you're already both to think I should expand the runaways. So, I'm gonna do that.
    The planes are matching a late 40's period, so, there not so big.

Thanks for the helpful comments, guys!

My only thoughts on the airport would be the physics of flight. Having not read through the entire thread for any details on atmospheric density or gravity....

If both are the same as Earth, the runways and minimum flight speeds would be the same as for Earth. Likely true if both are equally less than or greater than Earth.

If the atmosphere is thinner but gravity is still the same as Earth, you would probably want longer runways and need faster air speed to fly. Conversely, if the atmosphere is thicker and gravity is less than Earth, your runways wouldn't need to be as long, and you might be able to get away with a lower air speed.

Not being a physicist or aeronautical engineer, however, I can't say with absolute certainty whether or not that is the actual case. Just seems to make sense to me.

On another note, you continue to blow me away with this work. Every time I see an update, I just have to take a few minutes to drink in all the yummy details.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    My only thoughts on the airport would be the physics of flight. Having not read through the entire thread for any details on atmospheric density or gravity....

If both are the same as Earth, the runways and minimum flight speeds would be the same as for Earth. Likely true if both are equally less than or greater than Earth.

If the atmosphere is thinner but gravity is still the same as Earth, you would probably want longer runways and need faster air speed to fly. Conversely, if the atmosphere is thicker and gravity is less than Earth, your runways wouldn't need to be as long, and you might be able to get away with a lower air speed.

Not being a physicist or aeronautical engineer, however, I can't say with absolute certainty whether or not that is the actual case. Just seems to make sense to me.

On another note, you continue to blow me away with this work. Every time I see an update, I just have to take a few minutes to drink in all the yummy details.
    Thanks a lot, GW ! Well, despite its smaller size, "my" elzevir Mars has the same gravity and atmospheric pressure than Earth. Something only a handful of scientists (in the setting) are pointing as "weird" and "illogical" (even more for the moon...). But, as the Gates made things quite easy to go to those other worlds, I considered that nobody really cared about such things and the astrophysics and rocket sciences were less developed compared at our own history.

I increased the length of the airport runways, and I'm moving toward the port. Wadayathink ?

Views:	25 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	130397

Been some time, so, small update on this one.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	30 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	130522

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast