Thread: Need a professional version of my map

Post Need a professional version of my map

Hello Cartographers guild,

I am an epic fantasy author and am about to release book II in my series. I already have a map that I drew of the continent where my story takes place, but I would like it done really nicely in CC3+ (Campaign Cartographer).

The continent has several nations in it, so I'd really like to have the full continent and then be able to extract each nation so I can give readers the full view of the continent and a closer up of the nations as needed.

I am willing to pay for this, and would be happy to negotiate a fair price. I have drawings of the maps, so I just need it put into CC3.

I will own the copyright and reproduction rights and rights to sell and distribute the maps as I see fit. I am happy to let the Cartographer use the maps for personal use and for advertising their skills as a cartographer, but not for commercial purpose.

If you are interested, please contact me at perrymorris85@gmail.com to discuss. I would like to see examples of your work before we begin negotiating prices and I will also give you copies of the map so you can estimate a cost.

Thanks

Perry

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hi Perry,

First off, I hope you'll find just the right cartographer for you, whoever it turns out to be! A happy client is good for the entire community .

I was wondering if you'd mind telling us why you specifically want the map to be created in CC3+. I know many people here on the guild that work with other software - the majority in fact. Most use Photoshop or a close (and sometimes free) variant of it, and the results are astonishing. To me the main advantage of such software packages is the complete freedom you have, whereas in CC3+ you're more or less limited to a fixed set of icons, which results in many maps having a patchwork-y feeling.

I guess what I'm saying is: if you're willing to pay for a map, why not leave the choice of software to the mapmaker? Limiting that choice will also limit the number of applicants, and I'm sure you want as much bang for your buck as you can get. In fact, I'd be more than willing to create this map for you in Photoshop, if you're open for that!

C
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Yeah, basically what Caenwyr said.

Sent you an email.

Greetings,

Troedel

Caenwry, thanks for your question. Actually, I have decided I DON'T need the map to be in CC3+. In fact, after looking more at examples, I've realized, as you pointed out, that CC3+ doesn't produce as professional a map as say Illustrator or Photoshop, etc..

I bought CC3 and was going to do it myself, but haven't had time. I thought it would be good to have that format so I could tweak it myself later on if necessary. The real goal is to get a really nice, hi res, version of my map in color and greyscale to use in my ebook, website and POD books.

I've had a couple bids, but the cost has either been too high or the quality of work isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I'd be willing to pay $400 for this commission as long as the quality is really good. My working map is already a pencil sketch that looks very nice. I just want to take it to the next level.

thanks

Perry

Just a quick note to say I have commissioned a member of the guild, so need to reply to me on this. Thanks so much to all of you who reached out to me and for your great recommendations. All the work I've seen from each of you is top notch.

Perry