Thread: Lamuire Pasis-Style: yet another WIP

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Wip Lamuire Pasis-Style: yet another WIP

Hey there,

apologies for my absence, once again. As usual I come back with a new WIP that I'm probably not going to finish, but we all might just have to get used to that.

I have been fiddling around with Pasis' tutorial for a while now but didn't get any satisfying results until now. This is what the first version looked like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lamuire-Pasis-proto.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	81347

So I was pretty optimistic about that and liked a lot of things, but there were a few factors that were too much of a wild card to get a consistent map, as well as me just racing ahead and forgeting half of the techniques I tried out. So I started anew, with a much more level-headed approach and I got this far for now:

Name:	Lamuire-Pasis-V1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	81348

I did a bit of fiddling with overlays and a bit of forest. The mountains need a lot of fleshing out and there will be lots of opportunities for adding detail... so I might go overboard with it as usual.

The weird thing is, though, that sometimes the mountains seem to "invert" themselves. I first thought it might be my graphics processor going nuts, but I think it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me. Anyone any experince with that?

So long and be nice to each other!

- Llannagh

I scrapped the above mountains and redid them once again. Lots of tweaking and trial and error, but i'm getting somewhere.

Here's an update:

Name:	Lamuire-Pasis-V3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	81358

The mountains need blending, and shading, and probably another makeover, but i like the general gist of it.

Texture looks a lot better in the last version... but I liked the layout of the previous version better.

The new mountains look a little to "regular" fractal-farny in my eyes.

Yep, you're right. It's too straight. Maybe I should take the mountains from before and just change the texture. Will look into that soonish.

Right, I changed the mountains once again. I feel it works much better now.

Name:	Lamuire-Pasis-V4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	81391

As for me, I love the result you got with the grey one in your first post. I would start from this and use a multiply effect on a background paper texture, then I'll apply the vegeration colors.

I took part of Ilanthar's advice and started again with a greyscale image. Not really satisfied yet, but I feel I'm getting the hang of it soon. Might have to do a complete redo again, but I'm pretty confident that when I have found a technique, this will serve me as a basis for the other maps.

Name:	Lamuire-Pasis-V1b.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	81838

Had a conversation with a friend yesterday who likes the more "medieval-ly" feel of my Bataar-map better, but I'm looking for something more dynamic to get things done. For some reason this style is triggering my imagination a lot more. Well we'll see how it all turns out.

The coastlines and rivers will be refined in a later version too. That shouldn't be too much work.

Yep, it looks defintely better imho .