View Poll Results: What type of map would you like to create to celebrate the Guild's 10th birthday?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everyone designs their own square within a landmass which Robbie will provide

11 47.83%
  • We make our own separate islands which will be merged into an archipelago map

3 13.04%
  • Everyone creates their own room as part of a larger dungeon-style map

9 39.13%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sites 10th Birthday is coming next month! Let's celebrate!

10 years? Already? It seems jut like yesterday when I stumbled in here while I was shirking at work and surfing!

I love your idea Stephan, but would like to propose a variation: Each one of us draws a top down view of a single room which is the place where they draw their maps. It then gets submitted to a central source (happy to volunteer although I'm sure there are people far more able than I who would be able to do it or it could be a joint project) who will make corridors and halls etc joining up all the rooms into one floor-plan which will be the entire Guild. All I think we would need are guidelines as to wall thickness and scale. If you didn't have much time you could make a single cell, if you had a lot of time you could make a whole wing!

I'm loving these ideas.
    Continuity between the maps seems to be the biggest qualm.
    ChickPea had suggested islands, which would address the continuity.
    And Ravs idea addresses it nicely too.
    Both can work into Steffen's idea.

Any preferences Guilders?
    As I do architecture too, I can go either way.
    Your studio or your island?

edit - though I personally think we could do both, if we have people that want to participate.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 03-22-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I'd be up for either too, or even just Steffen's original idea, because even if continuity is an issue, it might give it a certain charm (which the others would do too), but at the same time, we're all building towards completing the same map with each of our parts of the puzzle.

The rooms and islands still have that, but are a bit more isolated in my opinion. Though I'm up for whatever people want!

I can only agree with GLS here. I'd prefer it too, if the different styles of the participants would get the chance to "clash" somewhat in the landscape (eg isometric vs top down / highly detailed vs. more shematic, hand drawn vs randomly generated etc.) as it isn't only showing the wide variety of approaches here, but also the ability to be/ work next to each other without the necessity to be on an island for yourself. Anyways, this is going to be great, and i'm "zu allen Schandtaten bereit"^^ (ready for everything that might come up).
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    also the ability to be/ work next to each other without the necessity to be on an island for yourself.
    Yeah, but we could team up and invade GLS's island and steal his coconuts.

I've had a look at the CWBP thing (I had no idea how it worked) and I do rather like it, but I like Ravi's idea a lot too, so ... um... whatever suits everyone else.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

However we need to do it, I'm game for it.
    I just want to get going
    For Steffen's original idea, like the CWBP, it does require a bit more planning and we have to know number of participants before beginning.
    Maybe we can run several, with Steffen's being the main central shebang.

Oh, and if we are doing Steffen's as originally suggested, it would be cool if somehow Robbie could do a quick layout of the landshape - as he set the shape for the Guild way back when, seems appropriate for him to do that here [if he wants to - not trying to throw him in the water ]
    Last edited by J.Edward; 03-22-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Yeah, but we could team up and invade GLS's island and steal his coconuts.

I've had a look at the CWBP thing (I had no idea how it worked) and I do rather like it, but I like Ravi's idea a lot too, so ... um... whatever suits everyone else.
    You're in a pirateley mood, eh? What is this CWBP thing? Couldn't find any references in this thread and i guess it stands neither for "Chronic Widespread Bodily Pain" nor "C.at, W.olf, B.unny, P.uppy" ?
    Edit: Ok, i got it For the uninitiated, it's the "CooperativeWorldbuildingProject"
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Haha, I think that "C.at, W.olf, B.unny, P.uppy" could definitely apply!

But yes, there's a whole folder about CWBP ...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Then, happy birthday (in advance) Guild! Ten years isn't much for a human, but for an internet site, it's like "very wise guy" !

I'm so glad I found and joined this community for a big half of its existence.

By Abu Lafia
    "C.at, W.olf, B.unny, P.uppy" ?
    Oh please, just make this a cooperative challenge !

I would gladly participate to any form of birthday challenge! Already a lot of great ideas so far.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast