Thread: Adding details to a world mao

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Adding details to a world mao

I've created the basic layout of continents for this world. I have in mind some of the geography I want included. But I don't have a complete vision, and I can't seem to get what I have in mind, done in a manner that is either aesthetically pleasing or natural looking. I've tried various tutorials for mapmaking, I've used premade terrain brushes in photoshop, I've even tried copying elements from existing maps and editing/pasting them in. Nothing I have done has worked - not to a point I am satisfied with it.

Attached is what I have (I can post some of the failed attempts at adding details, if desired).

There are three main continents.

The central mass includes a smaller continent-sized island which used to be connected by a landbridge (hopefully evident where/how) in the past. Otherwise it has no islands considered a part of it. It has the largest mix of terrain and climate. There are three mountain ranges, one coming from the landbridge, one coming from the southwest peninsula, and one coming from the northeast peninsula, all converging at a massive crater/valley in the (more or less) center of the main continental mass. The southeast will be arid/desert, the central crater will be a natural deciduous forest that has mostly been cleared by man, with plains and swamps and a fertile river delta to the north/northwest. The large island will have a bit of the mountain range from the mainland continuing into it, otherwise it will primarily be rolling hills and plainlands, with a large river splitting into two smaller rivers, and dividing it into three fairly equal sized areas. Politically, this continent (including the massive island) will be split into 14 regions; the central crater being one, and 13 other "countries" spread throughout the rest. I have no hard plans for these political borders yet - I'd hoped to have natural terrain provide the clues (mountains/rivers as borders). But since I can't make good looking terrain, I'm stuck there as well.

The northeastern continent and its islands are a mixture of rolling hills and plains, with a decent amount of wooded terrain. No real mountains or swamps, though a few rivers and lakes are probable. Politically, this is all one massive country/continent.

The southwestern continent and its islands are lush tropical and volcanic - much like the Hawaiian islands chain. Very mountainous and either barren or covered in tropical jungle. I'm open to adding several more islands to this continent; I just sketched out a minimum. This also is one political entity, a single country as well as a continent.

I'd welcome any help provided, from hints and tips up to completely finishing this up for me!

This is for a roleplaying campaign I am writing, and while I have some time before the map elements become critical to the story, I'd like to have it done as soon as I can.

I have it as a photoshop document, at twice the resolution of the attached image - and including many layers of failed attempts to flesh it out. If you'd like, I can attach that as well. But I think it is much uglier, and this is probably just as good (or better) as that.

THANK YOU, for ANY help you're willing to offer!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AESHMap.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	81563  

Hi Hephalumph.

I for one would like to see a version of the map that shows the main geographical features, even if it's very crude. It's hard to get an idea of it in my head without the visual outline.

I'm wondering what style you would like it in, or if it matters a lot.

I'd like to learn a bit more about it to see if I can take it up.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Here's the least ugly looking...lol

(edit) as to style, I'd prefer something somewhat between an isometric view and a realistic view. As an unpaid request, I'll take anything I get, though - lol!

Name:	AESHMAPMNT.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	81582  

So you are not toooo picky about exact locations of geography and such?

Over the next few days I will try to start it.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Not picky at all... I appreciate it very much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wx0.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	81583 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wx.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	81584

Or something like that...

Oh okay! Somebody got to it before me.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wx0.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	81583 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wx.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	81584

Or something like that...
    Thanks a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Oh okay! Somebody got to it before me.
    If you don't mind, I wouldn't mind having different versions to pick from! I had someone PM me a different version too, which I also like...

It would be awesome to see it in more of the isometric view, if possible. I love the realistic style; but having multiple versions to compare is just nice.

Name:	AESH-Atlas-Style.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	5.29 MB 
ID:	81617  

I'll see what I can do, but it depends on if I have time (I might not for a few days).

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM